>>>>Metro Detroit game server ops?<<<<

RobRob Detroit, MI
edited February 2004 in Gaming
Mods, primesuspect gave the a-ok for this thread.

Looking for game server ops in metro Detroit. Part time, after school, whenever is OK.

Shoot me a PM if your in Detroit and like to admin game servers. Must be experienced in running and seting up atleast one game type.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    BTW: This is a job posting :D

I know there are a lot of geeks in the D area who visit this site, so.... this might be your dream job, who knows.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Stuck.

All those Detroit guys.. this is a seriously cool job ;)
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    hey, why don't you move your gaming service to Portsmouth, NH then hire me!? :D:D;D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    All of you stop thinking my name.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I assumed u were already signed up :p
    edited December 2003
    I'm not.

I don't like game servers, setting them up, or administrating them. It means my day is filled with babysitting 13 year olds over the internet. If I wanted to babysit 13 year olds, I'd go to a junior high.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited December 2003
    Well, acually alot of adult's rent servers. Depending on how you price it, you can control your market quite a bit.

One person contacted me, I sent them some details, and nothing back. Oohhh well, it's not like I would be making a ton of cash on it, but I just wanted to fire back up the gaming division. It's been neglected for too long, and I am just too busy handling business accounts.
    edited December 2003
    That's true.

I suppose I should ask for these clarifications:

1) Does the job require a presence in a location other than the home?

2) Are the servers public or private in nature, is that determined by the renter?
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited December 2003
    1) Local location is only needed for 2 reasons. 1, so you can physically see whats involved and participate in hardware if interested. 2, so I can kick your butt if you try to screw me ;)

Seriously, things work smoother if we can meet once and a while. If a problem arises, its convienent to fix. 99% can be done at home, or where ever you can uplink to the net.

I wouldn't expect anyone to sit on site. Equipment is controled by APC PDU's for remote reboot, there is no reason to sit onsite and work unless you like the humming sound of thousands of fans. Being onsite is not a requirement to work, but is something I think you would find you would do more and more. Considering the facility is at 10M & Lahser, I think you would make the trip more often than you think. Nothing like sitting in a datacenter and downloading complete ISO's in minutes. Ever have a 100M cat5 cable, with 100M of bandwidth behind it? :D

2) Determined by renter

This is not a factor of income for us, more of a side business to sell excess hardware and bandwidth. If you didn't like a client, tell them to take a hike.
    edited December 2003
    Hmm. Thanks. :)
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited December 2003
    Something about sitting on a fiber optic backbone usually gets the geek every time. Got GigE? ;)

Let me know, and we'll meet up and I'll walk you through whats going on.
    edited December 2003
    Hey, I haven't signed up for anything yet.

/me laughs

My not having a car puts a damper on most employment. It's pretty much going to go to someone else.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited December 2003
    I'm not going to twist your arm, but a car is not needed. Just a computer, internet connection, and some skills.

I have game server company clients that have half a cabinet with us, or more, and they've never seen the inside of a datacenter.

But I'll keep looking. It seems your looking for a reason not to more than putting effort to do it, and I don't want someone that's going to back down in a month.
    edited December 2003
    I'm more concerned about you getting the candidate that's going to stick with you, and be available more than I am.

I work two jobs, and will pick up a third in June at Beaumont Hospital as a field technician. On top of that, I will be heading to University in the fall.

If you're going to invest in another employee, I'd like to see it go to someone who will:

A) Have more time than I do.
    B) Be with you for the long haul.
    C) Easily be able to go places.

Am I interested? You're absolutely right I am, now that I've had some details explained.

But me as an employee is far from convenient for you.

It should go to someone who has the time to go with the dedication. Above all that, it boils down to this question:

Why would I try to find a reason I shouldn't do it? It's money, and it's doing something that I love to do... I'm not actively dissuading myself from it; simply recognizing that there are potential employees that would be able to give more to the cause than I can at this time. Who will be around longer to give to the cause than I will be.

I would appreciate if you didn't use the sarcastic tone with me without understanding my circumstances.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited December 2003
    Gotta love forums.

No sarcasm intended. Good luck with everything!
    edited December 2003
    My apologies then.

It's just the way it came off to me.

Sorry. :sad2:
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited December 2003
    no worrys
  • edited January 2004
    I was wondering if this position was still open. I couldn't believe it after reading it, almost sounded too good to be true. I live in Troy, MI. Also, Im not your garden variety geek type so hopefully I might make a good addition. Feel free to check out my page:

http://karpo.nickelndime.org/gallery/

Rob wrote:
    Mods, primesuspect gave the a-ok for this thread.

Looking for game server ops in metro Detroit. Part time, after school, whenever is OK.

Shoot me a PM if your in Detroit and like to admin game servers. Must be experienced in running and seting up atleast one game type.
    edited January 2004
    Another local! Welcome to short-media, alphy. There are a lot of us here from the metro D, and hopefully adding more michiganders can push back the canadian and UK influence that we are burdened with ;D

I'll let Rob know about your post if he doesn't see this thread.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited January 2004
    dang... im So. Cal. and could use some PT work on the side.. I also have network and server exp. (IT person at local plant till lay off) 3 years worth.. Oh well...

On another note.. Im getting outta the phone support business.. If my background check comes back clean enough to meet their needs im going to work build servers... rack mounts.. Ill get to play with hardware all day long... and its 20miles closer to home and it pays starting out, what im makin now...

Going from a call center to building servers that record calls for call centers... ironic..

Wish me luck...

Gobbles
    edited February 2004
    One last bump as I am unsticking this thread now ...
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited February 2004
    ahh Prime, we all know Michigan is just a Canadian Province waiting to happen! ;)
  • edited February 2004
    I could do it too, as it seems CompUSA canned me thanks to the holiday season being over... :grumble:

I'll send a PM out later, as I don't feel like doing it on my PDA.