Computer Problems

edited October 2008 in Hardware
Hello everyone, I am currently experiencing some computer problems...

Here is the scenario...

Emachines W3410

About a week ago, computer has been running fine for three years, suddenly started freezing up after about 30 minutes of being turned on. At first just freezing up, no noises or anything. Then a click and a beep with yellow HD light flash, it would do this continually (IE *click* Beep 1 sec pause, click beep) Computer now gets to the big E screen and stops there, does not go any further.

All Fans running (1 in PS, 1 case, 1 CPU), reseated RAM, and all drive cables on drives and board.

Used Seagate Seatools to run HD Diagnostics, no fails, ran short, then long, then long generic, all pass.

I have not checked the Mobo for busted/leaky caps yet, will do tonight when I get home.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2008
    If you let is sit for an hour or even over night powered off and then turn it on does it boot up any further, because your problems sound like a heat issue.
  • edited October 2008
    Kryst,

I have let it sit overnight before, and it goes into XP, but freezes after about 30 -45 min of use, (surfing usually, nothing intense like programming, gaming, etc.) After sitting for about 6 hours after freezing up, it wont even go into xp anymore.

I took a 1.5 hr. lunch break today, inspected what items on the mobo I could see easily, and saw no signs of leaky or damaged caps, etc., blew out case with canned air, swapped RAM slots. Oddly enough, I stuck the HD back in after bringing to work to do some testing, and system ran fine for about an hour while I was home for lunch. I left it running for the afternoon, will see how it did this afternoon when I get home.
  • edited October 2008
    UPDATE

As of now, the computer has been running for about 5 hours, with no activity.
    Things to note:
    Side panel is off (didn't want to rush into putting that back on just yet)
    Computer seems to be running ok, I'm sure that after dinner tonight, my wife will be on here for a good hour or so checking emails and myspace and what not. I have my laptop I can post from if it goes (o)(o)s up again. Will keep you informed.

I am going to go ahead and replace the side panel, see if it acts up again (heating related)
  • edited October 2008
    Update

Computer has been running since 2pm EST yesterday. No problems since then, if any thing else pops up will let you guys know.

Thanks again for your tips in some of the other posts.