post-content-to websites

edited October 2008 in Internet & Media
Experience: I've used Dreamweaver to create some very basic sites...knowledge is limited.

Can I (with DreamWeaver) create a site that accepts members...where members could post content (pdfs, jpgs, gifs, etc...almost like a "gallery of their work...if they were a painter")...or delete content at will? What is this process or type of website referred to as?..this would help me research better. How difficult is it to create such a website...(realizing there are "layers of complexity depending on...")?

Lastly I may want to add certain types of "stats"...such as how many views a particular page (or user) has had at "their page of content"...is this difficult? ANY remarks on or "off air" would be appreciated. Or even a URL to point me toward some answers.

Thanks,
mohawkhigh

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    people don't really "create" websites like that from scratch anymore. Except for Keebler with the last version of Icrontic. But I digress:

What you are looking for is called a CMS - a content management system. There are many. One of the most popular is Wordpress. Another is Joomla.

Start your search by learning what a CMS is. That will guide you.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    You mean like Deviant Art?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    First of all, forget Dreamweaver. You can't create a site like what you're describing from scratch without several years of experience and learning a LOT. This is like saying "I would like to build a house. I have a nice hammer. Now what?"

You're going to either want to find a software package that meets your needs or hire a some programmers to make it (i.e. get a prefabricated house or hire a contractor, to continue the analogy).

Maybe look at Drupal, vBulletin, Wordpress, or other content management systems.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    You ask "how difficult"

On a scale of 1-100, 1 being "pooping" and 100 being "Lead a revolution and take over the US government in a peaceful coup", I'd say it's about a 90 to someone asking the kinds of questions you're asking.
  • edited October 2008
    people don't really "create" websites like that from scratch anymore. Except for Keebler with the last version of Icrontic. But I digress:

What you are looking for is called a CMS - a content management system. There are many. One of the most popular is Wordpress. Another is Joomla.

Start your search by learning what a CMS is. That will guide you.

THANK you ALL so much for your posts....that will definitely get me going. Loved the hammer and the house analogy! mohawkhigh.
  • edited October 2008
    You ask "how difficult"

On a scale of 1-100, 1 being "pooping" and 100 being "Lead a revolution and take over the US government in a peaceful coup", I'd say it's about a 90 to someone asking the kinds of questions you're asking.

Hilarious...yet insiteful.

How difficult using CMS on that same scale?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Using a CMS? It depends on the CMS. Some are unbelievably simple while there are some (with advanced options) that are as complex as taking over the US Government. In general, I'd put it at the 20-30 range for someone familiar with using things on a website.
  • edited October 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    You mean like Deviant Art?

Yes. Like this.