Trimming SATA cables

MbooseMboose North Carolina
edited October 2008 in Hardware
Alright, so I just purchased a new Coolmax v-600 and a 9800 GTX+. I have them both in my tower now in their proper slots, but my problem is that the graphics card is covering up where I plug my hard drive and CD rom sata cables in. I was wondering if it's possible, as well as safe, to trim the connectors of the sata cables. I only have enough room between my graphics card and the sata slots on my mother board to fit my index finger between them. I just want to trim them down a tad but wasn't sure if I should do this.

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Do you mean just the plastic housing at the end of the connector? Could you use SATA cables that have a 90 degree angle connector such as this?
  • MbooseMboose North Carolina
    edited October 2008
    Dude, those actually look perfect for what I'm looking for, assuming the ends aren't too big. Is there a retail store that carries them? I've looked on Best Buy's website and Circuit City's but didn't see anything (then again it was something like 5am). I also don't think there's a Tiger Direct where I'm located. So are those 'smaller' where they plug into the mobo?

And yes, it's the very ends where it actually plugs into the mobo, about a centimeter or so long.

Will those 90 degree ones also fit to my cdrom/hard drive on the other ends?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    The 90-degree bend makes them nearly flush with the back of the device. They should work well for what you want to do.
    edited October 2008
    Alright, I appreciate it. I'm going to look around at some retail stores first for them.

Would it be possible to trim my current ones though? Until I can get the angled one?
    edited October 2008
    Nevermind, I called Best Buy and talked to the Geek Squad and the guy said they had them. Thanks for your help guys!