XP not booting after installation of SP2 with hard drive detection issues

edited October 2008 in Hardware
Hello.

After fixing a cd key problem *cough* i can finally install service pack 2. after this, the os is stuck at the load screen. I narrowed the issue down to this:

On the boot up screen (where all the quick things flash through?) it says the primary drive is not detected. My cmos is not detecting my c: as a master. It is read only in slave. I checked my pins on my actual hds and theyre all in place and set in order.

also may help with trouble shooting? i did the exact same procedure on another computer before and it worked fine.

ran wga fixer
installed sp 2
and trouble!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    We cannot help you with pirated copies of Windows XP.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    How do you know he doesn't have a legit key but merely hates Microsoft's big brother WGA?

So the your primary drive isn't even showing up in the BIOS? :o
    That's not good...
  • edited October 2008
    thanks jared for your optimism. =)

so i have tried some trouble shooting, and and reset the pins on my primary drive back to factory default. now, the bios is reading that my primary dirve is master, but the problem still stands at the loading screen for windows.

and btw, the cd key is legit key =P

im going to try and boot this hd on another computer...
    stay posted for more adventures...!!
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Have you tried to see if it will boot in safemode?
  • edited October 2008
    i can get that screen where i can choose what to do for the o.s, but my keyboard doesnt respond to the functions. only in the bios does the keyboard work. so i couldnt choose any of those boot options.