Fans whirr momentarily then nought happens

yetihwyetihw Eastbourne, England
edited October 2008 in Hardware
I know there are similar threads around but I've looked at possibly all of them and haven't found anything useful so here goes.

I just upgraded my PC, its basically all new now with new motherboard, cpu, ram and psu as below:

OCZ 900w ModXStream
Asus P5Q PRO iP45
Core2Duo E8500 @3.16GHZ w/ Nexus HOC-9000 HSF
4GB Corsair PC2-8500 Dominator (2x2GB)
74GB Raptor 10,000rpm

Only things left over from before are my graphics card, an asus extreme 8800gts 512, and hard drives, 1x500gb and 2x320gb seagates. I upgraded because my PC hasn't been working properly for a while and I decided that replacing most of the components was probably a good idea. Anyway, the first time I attemtped to boot the fans whirred for a split second then stopped, and nothing happened. I fiddled around inside for a bit, tried again and no luck. Then I took out/re connected the CPU fan connector and it booted up, and I thought my problems were over.

It worked like a dream, I installed Vista, installed a load of drivers and then, prioriorties right, installed Far Cry 2. I played it for about half an hour of gaming bliss then the PC turned itself off. I opened it up and fiddled a bit again, and I'm back to the fans whirring for a split second then nothing happening problem again. I've tried reconnecting the CPU fan, I've removed/re-seated the RAM and graphics card several times, I've double/tripple checked every connector I can think of, last night I even gutted the whole thing out and put everything back together again, and the exact same problem occurs.

I haven't gotten around to trying another PSU yet, but seeing as this one worked once and is brand new I can't believe it is the problem. I'm guessing the motherboard is probably the culprit.

Your suggestions would be wonderful before I A) loose all my hair through stress/pulling, B) throw PC out of window, or C) all of the above.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    As much confidence as you have in the PSU, it's the most likely culprit with these symptoms. I think your first step is to try a different one.
  • yetihwyetihw Eastbourne, England
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I've got my old enermax 600w so I'll try that out tonight. Just seems weird if it is the PSU that it worked for an hour or so then broke.

Forgot to mention I tried a different graphics card too.
  • yetihwyetihw Eastbourne, England
    edited October 2008
    Well sorry for the hasty post, looks like it was the PSU, though I wouldn't expect a brand new PSU to work for an hour then collapse. Anyway my old Enermax Liberty 600w is working just fine, that's enough power for my spec isn't it?

I'm thinking maybe should have just stuck with the trusty old thing rather than go for the newer model.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    You should be fine on 600w. Glad you got it working. :)