Another Failure to POST Thread

edited October 2008 in Hardware
Hi,

I recently replaced the 2 x 1 gig of RAM on my system with 2 x 2 gig. This proved to be not as straight forward as it should be resulting in upto 30 crashed out process due to memory violations. So I checked the new sticks with memtest and found no errors at all after some 20 passes.
For my next step I opted to update my Bios as I was running an older one and the board had given me problems before along those lines.
This is where it started to go really wrong. I updated the BIOS using EZFlash it deleted the old BIOS happily then crashed reading the new one........
Dead puter, so i cleared the CMOS slapped in the motherboard install disk and managed to fix the BIOS (though admittedly with an older version than I wanted.
So great..... Only problem now is it wont post :confused:
It powers up motherboard powerlight is on, fans spin up, Hard drive spins up but no post no VGA output at all. I've stripped everything back one stick of RAM just the VGA card and CPU on the board and it still wont post. I've tried clearing the CMOS a few times but nothing as yet.

Any suggestions?

System details
Mobo Asus M2R32MVP, RAM OCZ 2 x 2gig 6400, Gainward Radeon 4850, Power is Enermax 600watt (cant remember which model but it supplies more than enough juice) CPU AMD X2 5000 BE all runnning on Vista 64 (yuck)

Cheers

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Something might be grounding or seated incorrectly after all that assembly disassembly. As a first step, I'd try simply assembling the system outside the case. If that doesn't make the issue obvious, the the only thing to do for this kind of problem is start replacing the pieces one at a time until the culprit is found. I'd start with the video card, although if you've still got your old RAM laying around, that might be easier to start with.
  • edited October 2008
    Thanks for the reply, yeah last time it did this I finally got it working by rebuilding outside the case, unfortunately I'd misdiagnosed it as a faulty gefx card and bought a new one (the 4850 I have now) turns out it was a short so I now have a spare HD2900 pro kicking around lol. I've tried the old RAM but it didn't post with that either.

I've only just moved the system into a new case (CM690) so it'll be pretty annoying to move it out again but here goes :mad:
  • edited October 2008
    Unfortunately it still doesn't post when out of the case. I'm stumped and somewhat depressed that I may be facing a new mobo. Which in turn buggers me as I bought my copy of vista as OEM which as far as I'm aware is limited to the one install.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    try a different video card first. or did you already do that? You mentioned the card, but you didn't say you tested it.
  • edited October 2008
    I've tried it with both my HD 2900 pro and with my HD4850. Neither work, on both cards the two red leds on the back flash as the power is turned on but then go out and stay out but the system still fails to post.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited October 2008
    Okay, you should have motherboard, mem, video card, processor, and psu in the mix right now for testing, right? No hard drive needed or any other stuff. You've kind of determined that the mem isn't bad, right? You've determined that 2 video cards fail, right? and you don't know about the motherboard or the psu (enough power isn't always clean enough power)

Only suggestion I can give is to test by swapping in parts.

I personally would try the PSU first. I would not determine the video card as being free from suspicion. Find an old basic pci vid card... try it. After that?? I dunno.

Probably won't help but I know OCZ RAM likes to run at 2.1v... change the setting if you have an option in BIOS.
  • edited October 2008
    Hi,

I'll try swapping the PSU, the one in the system at the mo is an Enermax Noisetaker 2 600Watt, so its a good one and really shouldn't be an issue but ya never know.

I dont have a spare PCI gefx card, but I do have a HTPC with PCIe slots and on board gefx so I'll try my gefx cards out on it to confirm they work, but again I'd be pretty upset if the 4850 is dead as its only a few months old.

I've swapped the OCZ RAm back to the GeIL RAM I waas previosly using (with no effect) I can't access the BIOS to change the voltage as the system doesn't post i.e. no output on the monitor.

Cheers for your reply