Blu-Ray is choppy!

ArtemisArtemis New
edited November 2008 in Internet & Media
Hey everyone!

I posted a thread in the OS section about getting Blu-Ray to work on my Windows XP Pro, and I followed the directions in the thread, but now my Blu-Ray is skipping. I'm playing it in Nero with Blu-Ray support...

any ideas what I can do?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    What video card do you have?
  • ArtemisArtemis New
    edited October 2008
    My graphics card is [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS.

I mean, I'm assuming it's Blu-Ray compatible, as I bought my laptop with a Blu-Ray optical drive and this was the highest graphics card available.
    [/FONT]
    edited October 2008
    What driver version do you have installed?
  • ArtemisArtemis New
    edited October 2008

from 8/23/2007...

Would an upgrade help the choppiness? or do you think it's something else?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited October 2008
    If the drivers are old you might as well update them anyway. If for some reason it messes up performance you can just rollback to the older version.
  • ArtemisArtemis New
    edited October 2008
    I tried going onto Nvidia, but it won't install...it says it can't find the appropriate hardware, which is BS.

Where do I find the driver on the Microsoft site?
    edited October 2008
    That driver is so old it probably doesn't have H.264 or VC1 codec acceleration. Download this driver and extract it to a folder. Then download the modded .INF file on the same page and extract it to that same folder. Confirm that you want to overwrite the file.

After that, install the driver through device manager.
  • ArtemisArtemis New
    edited October 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    That driver is so old it probably doesn't have H.264 or VC1 codec acceleration. Download this driver and extract it to a folder. Then download the modded .INF file on the same page and extract it to that same folder. Confirm that you want to overwrite the file.

After that, install the driver through device manager.

Couldn't install through the device manager, but I ran the setup.exe file after I moved the modded .INF file to the folder.

Driver version is now: 6.14.11.8042
    So that's good...I restarted my computer.

Blu-Ray is still really choppy though...do you think may be a program problem?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2008
    How fast is your processor and how much ram do you have?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    <dl class="list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><dt class="shade">Artemis Rig
    </dt><dt class="shade">Processor</dt><dd>- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.50GHz)</dd><dt class="shade">Memory</dt><dd>4 GB</dd></dl>
    edited October 2008
    Do you know how to check if your BDROM is working in DMA mode?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2008
    Ok, shouldn't be a speed issue.

Wonder if throwing on a new set of codec's might help, couldn't hurt http://www.codecguide.com/
  • ArtemisArtemis New
    edited October 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Do you know how to check if your BDROM is working in DMA mode?

I have no idea how to do that.
    god, I am such a n00b, :( Sorry guys.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I tried playing the disc in Total Media Theatre by ArcSoft, instead of Nero.
    The skipping has improved a little, but it's still there.
    I really have no idea what to do.

I also updated my codecs, but no luck thus far...
    edited October 2008
    Go to your device manager and delete everything in the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section. It'll automatically reinstall all of them when you reboot, but will fix a problem I'm suspecting. At worst, you're in the same spot, at best, problem solved.
  • ArtemisArtemis New
    edited October 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Go to your device manager and delete everything in the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section. It'll automatically reinstall all of them when you reboot, but will fix a problem I'm suspecting. At worst, you're in the same spot, at best, problem solved.

When you say "delete" you mean "uninstall"?

Geez that sounds drastic! But I'm going to trust you on this that it's not going to fry my computer...
    edited October 2008
    Delete/uninstall, yus.

It won't blow anything up. I wouldn't suggest anything that did that. :)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Thrax goes great lengths to destroy the computers of people he met randomly on the internet under the guise of offering savvy tech advice. You've caught him.
    edited October 2008
    Assuming that about 1400 of my posts are news, that means I've destroyed 17,168 (...9) computers. BUAAHAHAH.
  • ArtemisArtemis New
    edited October 2008
    hahaha nah, I know you wouldn't kill my laptop, that would be so cruel :D

I don't know, just sounded drastic to me...haha
    Well, I'm gonna do it then. I'll let you know how it goes.

UPDATE:

Okay, so I did it (and my computer didn't blow up, surprise)

The chopping is still there...grr it's a little annoying.
    But you know, I was able to rip the Blu-Ray disc to my hard drive and then play it very smoothly...
    So I guess I'll have to rip all of the Blu-Rays with AnyDVD before I watch them.
  • edited November 2008
    very coooooooooooooooool