Watercooling Venture

bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
edited November 2008 in Hardware
Hey all, I'm slowly getting things together to try watercooling for the first time. I have a full ATX rebranded Lian Li case on the way, and will be water cooling the main system in my sig. I've pretty much set on the fact that I would like to watercool just about everything on this system, CPU, Northbridge, GPU and Voltage Regulators.

Just wanted to see what brands you guys recommend, I have been taking a look at kits and found a Thermaltake kit that looks like a winner. I realize I'll have to get some extra water blocks and such, for chipset, VRU, GPU and would like to get some recommendations.

As far as mounting this kit, I'm planing on obviously mounting the single 120mm rad on the back, but the dual 120 rad I had planned on modding the top of the case and mounting it cleanly up top.

Thermaltake Kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106074

These pictures somewhat show the mounting spot that where I'd like to mount the second radiator, same case.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/Coreyhm1/DSCF3471.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/Coreyhm1/DSCF2252-1.jpg

Thanks.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    It's important to identify how good you want your water cooling to be. Be advised that watercooling kits are pretty much no better than quality air cooling and are usually only designed to accommodate a CPU in the loop. Adding your VRMs, GPU, and NB will undoubtedly produce inferior results to air cooling.

You need to be looking at independent components for your entire setup. Twin 120mm radiator, a capacious reservoir, 1/2" Dtek or Swiftech waterblocks, tygon tubing, and a good aquarium pump.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108076

This Swiftech kit has a better pump, block and bigger tubing plus a separate reservoir allows for more options when mounting your kit. I think it's a better investment over the long term.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited October 2008
    Ya, originally I had looked at that Swiftech kit and was going to go with that, but the dual radiators on the Thermaltake looked like a good idea. However, sounds like (from what you guys have said) it's best to customize the parts. I figure I can start with that swiftech kit, and go from there. The main things I want to cool is the CPU and GPU, if I create too much thermo wattage then I can always add a second radiator later and run air on the GPU for a bit.
    edited October 2008
    That's a wise idea and I think you'll be better for it in the long run. Do it and let us know how it works out.
    edited October 2008
    Will do, thanks for the input guys.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I was thinking of going with water cooling for my next gaming pc build. There was a water cooling kit reviewed here recently that seems ideal. I read some reviews on air cpu coolers, and didn't like most of them for one reason or another, mostly related to poor cooling or taking up too much space in the computer case.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    You're concerned about poor cooling or case real estate, but you're willing to use water cooling kits which are inferior to the best air cooling and 5-8x the size?

What.
    edited November 2008
    Thermaltake Prowater 850i. I had to go look it up in the older reviews, it was done on Oct. 2.

I'd like to use a mid tower case if possible.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    You're concerned about poor cooling or case real estate, but you're willing to use water cooling kits which are inferior to the best air cooling and 5-8x the size?

What.
    edited November 2008
    The ProWater will work for you Tim, but you should consider the Swiftech Apogee Drive and H20-120 kit too. It has a better pump and block, and takes up an even smaller footprint.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108100&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Water+Cooling-_-Swiftech+Inc.-_-35108100
    edited November 2008
    That kit does not look complete. Not enough hose and where's the water block for the cpu?
    edited November 2008
    Thrax wrote:

What.

This is going to be a computer I will take to LAN parties, using huge heatsinks on my CPU and GPU are out of the question for transporting. Not only that, but I just want to try watercooling.
    edited November 2008
    Tim wrote:
    That kit does not look complete. Not enough hose and where's the water block for the cpu?

Do some research. The waterblock and pump are mounted together. You don't need much extra hose because the you only have to run two lines.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Thrax and I weren't referring to you, bullz. No worries.
    edited November 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Thrax and I weren't referring to you, bullz. No worries.

Ohh ok, well now you know. :p