NAS Issues, causing pain

fuctifinofuctifino "I ain't sure Toto, but it doesn't look much like Kansas to me"
edited November 2008 in Hardware
First and foremost hellohaving been referred at omne time or another by both QCH2002 and SillyViking I have at last decided to takle the plunge.

In true lurker fashion I come to you with a problem as my first post :rolleyes:

I am having trouble with a NAS drive at home and it is beginning to drive around the bend! I am trying to separate my data onto two WD My Book World Edition 1TB NAS drives, The transfer choked last night at 01:46 GMT i believe from looking at the Router logs that we had a blip in the power supply because it rebooted at that time. Since then I have been trying to delete the data that was transferred (I have changed my mind about folder struycure ad want to start again) but when i try to delete the miscreant item I get "Cannot remove [Folder Name] : Access is Denied make sure that the disk is not full or write-protected and that the fileis not currently in use".

SET UP
CLIENT
Lenovo T60 Win XP (SP3)

NETWORK PATH - HomeNAS1
DLink 5 port FE Switch - (Cheap iknow but it does a job)
HomeNAS1 (Western Digital My Book World Edition 1TB NAS Drive)

NETWORK PATH - HomeNAS2
DLink 5 port FE Switch - (Cheap I know but it does a job)
Devolo DLAN 200 PowerLine
Mains Ring
Devolo DLAN 200 PowerLine
DLink 5 port FE Switch
HomeNAS2 (Western Digital My Book World Edition 1TB NAS Drive)

I have included this much detail because HomeNAS1 is working fine drives are mapped directly (not via the MioNet (WD Access Anywhere) Software that came with it because that upset the build on my Lappie (work machine)) and it is doing everything I want it to, I can copy / move to and from move and delete files at will.

The other one is just not playing, i only recently got my ands on it from a colleague who is leaving at work, I have reset to factory defaults which resets access perms but little else (i.e. it doesn't touch the data structure), I can map to the default share on the volume but not to any that I create on it myself, I cannot even create a folder on it now, to be honest I am at a complete loss, I have gone as far as creating a uname / pw combination that mirrors my laptop, but obviously the domain difference is an issue.

On the problem drive

Firmware is 2.0.0.18 (the latest I believe)
WD Anywhere Access is disabled
Status shows as OK

Any pointers or suggestions would be gratefully received, although throwing them away and buying a Thecus or Buffalo is not quite what I have in mind.;)

Thanks in Advance for all responses.

Best Regards

FIIK

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    So, HomeNAS1 is in working order, but you can only read the root of the drive for NAS2? You cannot perform write/execute operations?
  • fuctifinofuctifino "I ain't sure Toto, but it doesn't look much like Kansas to me"
    edited October 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    So, HomeNAS1 is in working order, but you can only read the root of the drive for NAS2? You cannot perform write/execute operations?

HomeNAS1 - Correct

HomeNAS2 - I can see the file structure and copy to local machine but cannot create new, move to or from; or delete anything.

From doing some googling this afternoon it would appear that the WD MBWE Drive uses SAMBA and the file structure is CIF (??no Idea??) as such the a lack of transfer of permissions from XP is looking like a favourite candidate but that is a numpty (me) guessing!!
    edited October 2008
    And the data you're retrieving from NAS2 works alright when it's mirrored locally?
  • fuctifinofuctifino "I ain't sure Toto, but it doesn't look much like Kansas to me"
    edited October 2008
    I have just copied and pasted an mp3 from the folder on HomeNAS2 to my desktop and it played fine, I also played a different track from the folder on homeNAS2 and it's playingthrough WMP without issue, but try creatibng a new folder or move / delete anything insitu and "Access is Denied" comes back to visit!
    edited October 2008
    Can you edit the advanced security permissions on folders by right clicking on them from within Windows explorer?
    edited October 2008
    Tried already on both the root and first level directory, it results in:

"Unable to save permission changes on [Folder name] Access is Denied"
    edited October 2008
    Can you take ownership of those directories (properties > security > advanced > owner)? Put it to "administrator" or your specific login.
    edited October 2008
    No

"An Error Occurred applying security information to :
    \Device\WinDFS\Root\Ho....\[Filename]
    Access is Denied"

[Continue] [Cancel]
    On selecting [Continue] <CONTINUE>it then repeats for all of the files in the folder

this was when trying to change owner to any of the offered alternatives 9which are all directly related to the drive settings and not client!! When I cancel out it then says

"unable to set owner information

Access is denied"
  • fuctifinofuctifino &quot;I ain't sure Toto, but it doesn't look much like Kansas to me&quot;
    edited October 2008
    UPDATED:

OK Well this morning my patience was wearing very thin so I checked in the so called manual for how to reset to factory defaults and did that. This had a rather curious effect in that all of a sudden my 1TB hard drive had a total drive sise of 2.75GB and had 2.44GB of that free!!!

I could map a share and even create folders within this tiny sliceof the drive but when I tried to copy over some data in the hope that it would realise it was being somewhat daft and correct how large it thought the drive was, it didn't and at 2.44Gb of data transferred it spat it's dummy out and choked.

So then I did the whole re4set thing AGAIN, and this time it told me it was 913GBin total size with 911Gb free space (wjhich is what the otehr one says when empty), i could also create delete and move to my hear5ts desire, so I decided to start moving things around a bit.

1. Created Share on HomeNAS2 callled MEDIA set full permissions for all users (EVERYONE & ADMIN).
    2. Ensured that the drive was set up exactly the same as the one that works properly, includintg the fact that they are both running the same firmware now.
    3. mapped drivwe M: to \HomeNAS2\MEDIA\
    4. Started copying my movies across (~250GB)

We got one complete film (~750MB of .avi) and then when I came back to check on it we had reverted back to our old tricks "Check the disk is not full or write protected or that the file is in use Access Denied"

I now cannot do anything with it but I suspect that if i reset it to factory settings once more it will allowme to play for a time and then throw it's toys out of the pram again.

As an aside does anyone know how I can perform a sector scan on a network drive? Just in case it has something nasty lurking in there somewhere!!!!

Regs

FIIK
  • fuctifinofuctifino &quot;I ain't sure Toto, but it doesn't look much like Kansas to me&quot;
    edited November 2008
    UPDATE:

The problem is persisting and I have run out of things to try so tomorropw I will be taking my life and phone bill in my hands and intend to call WD support and see if they come up with any gems.

I will relay the full results here but will offer good money that the first thing that is suggested will be "Update the firmware!" Followed shortly there after by "it's probably your PC operating system".

for now i need to find the right place to post about Media Centre's because I have a cunning plan . . . . .
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    ON a side note, you will fit in here QUITE well.... ;D