Apple G5 Announced

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
WOW! This is a busy day in tech.

Apple has released specs and an official announcement about the 64bit G5 computers.

I might switch, yet!

Comments

• gtghmgtghm New
    edited June 2003
    Wonder how it would stand up to the Athlon 64 lines

Notied that they did not do any comparisions to AMD.

"g"
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I noticed that too. I wonder about the reasoning behind that. I am thinking it's almost 100% political/business related. I believe AMD is still courting apple to put their processors into future Macs, so any negative marketing of AMD processors wouldn't look good. I don't think Apple is going to stick with IBM or Moto for their future offerings, and AMD looks to be it.

Personally, I think the Dual 2ghz G5 would smoke any current AMD proc as well. Not so sure about opterons, tho.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Apple Powermac G5

The G5 has impressive specs! The 3 PCI-X Slots is awesome, not to mention the 1ghz FSB.

However waiting in the wings to rain on Apple's parade......

SPEC CPU 2000 Benchmark
    SPECfp_rate_base_2000

Dual G5 2ghz: 15.7
    Dual Xeon 3.06ghz: 11.1
    P4 3.0ghz: 8.07

Opteron 244 (single - 1.80ghz): 13.0
    Opteron 244 (dual - 1.80ghz): 27.7
    Opteron 844 (Quad - 1.80ghz): 44.2
    Athlon XP 2800+(2.25ghz): 9.07
    Dual MP 2400+(2.00ghz) : 10.5

Source: SPEC.org
    No barton core CPU scores submitted
  • edited June 2003
    That is one ugly mac, to bad in a couple of months it's going to be destroy by the athlon 64.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Omega65 said
    Apple Powermac G5
    Opteron 244 (dual - 1.80ghz): 27.7

Now we know why they don't put any Opterons in the comparison ;):eek:
  • hprhpr :o hi o:
    edited June 2003
    well... i seriously think its one sexy mac :rarr::D:D:D
  • edited June 2003
    the reasons apple didn't put the opterons benchmarks is one, no normal user knows what is an opteron or AMD, two, the opteron kicks the G5 @$$, and finally they were comparing the G5 to other workstation CPUs and since the Opterons is not yet a workstation CPU but a Server CPU they left it out.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Apple Cheats on Spec Benchmark!

Lies, Damn Lies & Benchmarks!
    Apple Manipulating the Results

Before we examine the SPEC results that Apple/Veritest claims, it must be noted that Apple/Veritest have used a few "cheats" to make the G5 look better. So whenever you see a Apple/Veritest result in the following tables, be aware that it has been affected by the following "cheats".

Apple/Veritest used a special fast malloc library on the G5 benchmark, but did not use it on the Dell/Intel benchmark, thus giving the G5 an unfair advantage. Here is the relevant quote from the Veritest report:

"Installed a high performance, single threaded malloc library. This library implementation is geared for speed rather than memory efficiency and is single-threaded which makes it unsuitable for many uses. Special provisions are made for very small allocations (less than 4 bytes)."
    (Page 5, also see Appendix E, Page 26, Veritest PDF)

Apple/Veritest crippled floating-point on the Intel CPU's by not using SSE2. Here is the relevant quote from the Veritest report:

"Generate floating point arithmetics for sse. [...]. The earlier version of SSE instruction set supports only single precision arithmetics, thus the double and extended precision arithmetics is still done using 387. Later version [SSE2], present only in Pentium4 and the future AMD x86-64 chips supports double precision arithmetics too."
    (Appendix F, Page 27, Veritest PDF)

For both the Dell Dimension 8300 and the Dell Precision 650, Apple/Veritest performed the multi-processor "Rate" benchmarks with hyperthreading DISABLED. They had hyperthreading ENABLED for the single-processor benchmarks, but DISABLED for the multi-processor benchmarks, despite the fact that hyperthreading would have improved the performance of the multi-processor "Rate" benchmarks, while having little or no effect on the single-processor benchmarks. In either case, this performance-enhancing feature of the Intel processors should not have been disabled.
    ===========================
    Integer Results (SPECint_base2000, higher is better)

SPECint_base2000 is a single-processor test, so in the following results, where the computer has a second processor, it is either disabled or not used.

(Spec Scores from Article...)

Apple Power Mac G5
    (PPC 970 2.0 GHz)
    (Results by Apple/Veritest):___800

Dell Precision 650
    (P4 Xeon 3.06 GHz)
    (Results by Apple/Veritest):___836

Dell Dimension 8300
    (P4 3.0 GHz)
    (Results by Apple/Veritest):___889

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (2.2 GHz)
    (Results by AMD):___________1044

Dell Precision 650 (P4 Xeon 3.06 GHz)
    (Results by Dell):____________1089

Intel P4 (3.0 GHz)
    (Results by Intel):___________1152
    ============================

;D;D;D

More Lies by Apple!

And to think If they'ld just used the AMD Opteron They WOULD be the Fastest Video/Image computers!

Omega65 :)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    owned.gif
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2003
    Tropical said
    That is one ugly mac, to bad in a couple of months it's going to be destroy by the athlon 64.

UGLY?? Did you see this page?

Scroll down to the siide by side comparisons of a PC interior and a G5 interior. Now, granted, they picked a pretty basic (read "un-modified") PC to show, but the point is illustrated none-the-less. Apple engineers lovely boxes (or, non-boxes as the Imac line shows.)

Dexter...
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Later on they'll probably come out with a PC version. It's been done before.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Blackhawk said
    Later on they'll probably come out with a PC version. It's been done before.

Some of the best mods I've ever seen have been pc clones of Mac designs or color schemes.

I'm sure you'll be proven right very soon, Blackhawk.:cool:

Prof
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited June 2003
    I have a friend who spent a week working at an Apple tech shop, and he said everyone there was so inept he couldn't stand to work there any longer. Most of the employees there could hardly speak english, let alone assemble or fix a computer.

...and he says the g5 is a piece of crap; too little, too late.
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited June 2003
    Well, Apple will make a lot of money soon. My dad works for the biggest printing business in BC, and when their techs approve of the Mac G5 for work, they'll soon buy a lot of them to replace all the G4 Macs they have right now. Cha ching for Apple. At least, they don't have to replace the 21" flat LCD panels (they only have a few. LCDs aren't ideal for graphics work).
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    Apple is making a crap load already. Thier new iTunes is raking them in 40% of the profits.

This new g5 will give the apple followers boost to thier self-esteems. For me personally, I am waiting for the Athlon 64. Me wants. Me wants noW!.

On another side note, I think the g5 looks nice. Great design. Ergonomics Pc's aint. Apple always makes great cases.

Off topic:
    If the above seems to be a little off it's because I'm pie-eyed right now.:)
    :beer: =:cool::cool: =:thumbsup:
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited June 2003
    the funny thing is itunes sound like they're filtered through a CB radio, I'm [not so] shocked so many people are being taken in by this scam
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Welcome to the Mactanic, the unsinkable e-Ship.