MSI WIND yeah baby :)

edited November 2008 in Hardware
i will be recieving a MSI Wind miniNotebook tomorrow morning :)
It has 1.6GHz Intel Atom with 120GB HDD and 1GB RAM running Windows XP SP3 networking with Wireless/Bluetooth powered by a 6-Cell Battery (~7hrs)

can't wait to lay my hands on the little thing... i've read some pretty positive reviews on it...

will post some pics and some feedback at later stage

Comments

• bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited November 2008
    I hope the Atom is more than I've read about. The benchmarks place an old 1.13Ghz PIII at very similar performance.. However, for the price/efficiency you cannot beat this little gizmo. I'm actually thinking about grabbing one of these for college, in class the only thing I'll be doing is typing so I'll save my high end rig for the dorm :)

http://laptoping.com/intel-atom-benchmark.html
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Cool. I'm considering the MSI Wind too. They look like great subnotebooks. Throw up some pix when you get it an let us know how it is!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I'm plunging for the Wind as well. Pix+review soon enough.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2008
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I recently got the Asus Eee Pc1000 for $349 @ B.B. and love it! It is very similar to the Wind.
  • edited November 2008
    Wind is Awesome! I have no regret in getting it instead of Aspire One - 10.1" screen is just fantastic... screen can get real bright too :)

I've been watching a couple of movies on it the other night (Death Race & Bankok Dangerous) - fantastic sound, i was using earphones but the onboard speakers are lound

Keyboard buttons are slightly smaller than standard size keyboard but i can still touch type with no hassle - also considering i have big finder tips

Came with Windows XP Home SP3, Bluetooth/Wireless works fantastic
    Webcam functioning perfect as well :):)

although i am planning of Wiping it clean with Ubuntu :) I'm still researching on any issues that i might encounter before i make the switch...

i also manage to grab a logitech bluetooth notebook (black) mouse :)

6-Cell runs for just over 4 hours with Wireless/Bluetooth connecting to Internet/Mouse respectively... although can be longer if screen brightness and other features adjusted

I highly recommend MSI Wind :)

09112008(005).jpg
    09112008(007).jpg
    09112008(010).jpg
    09112008(019).jpg
    09112008(025).jpg
    09112008(026).jpg
    edited November 2008
    Wow, that sucker really is tiny, I might just grab one :p

How is performance with the atom, I've heard it can be pretty bad?
  • edited November 2008
    performance for me so far is great - i use it for coding and designing - i don't play any game on it - i even uninstall windows games (solitaire etc)

with wireless and bluetooth off this puppy can run for good 5.5 to 6 hours on battery (6-Cell ofcourse) with screen on half light - it's got a really bright screen tho, i always chose to dimm it down real low when i'm using it without light in the room at night

if you don't mind the small screen than i highly recommend WIND for you, it also has a larger screen compared to Aspire One and EEE PC and it weighs just over 1KG (with 6-Cell Battery)

By the way, how do i edit the photo to be displayed to the width of the page (instead of displaying it in full size)?
    edited November 2008
    Awesome. I had considered the Acer and Asus versions but I think I'll probably go with the MSI because it uses the whole lid for the screen which is nice.

The easiest way to adjust the size IMO is just to change how big they are when you upload them. Photobucket has a size selection when you upload the photo, I just always set mine to 800x600. I'm sure there are other ways, but I know very very little code.
  • edited November 2008
    i did my research before i bought the MSI Wind :)

just do abit of googling on the WIND vs Aspire One vs EEE Pc
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Have you tried Skype on the Wind?
    How does it work?
  • edited November 2008
    i have not tried skype on WIND... i'm not a skype user - but i will give it a try and post...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    It won't be a problem, Ed. The Atom CPU is similar in power to a Pentium 3, and will have no issues dealing with skype.