my return to the threads comes with a question... midi?

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited December 2003 in Internet & Media
how do i make a mp3 into midi....sound forge i cant find a way...how else can i do it? (man my brains r fried from finals plz excuse the horrible english)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Unless I'm mistaken, you'd have to know music pretty well and be able to isolate each instrument by ear and record the notes yourself in the proper cleff, taking note of the right key..

And then you'd have to recompose it as a midi manually by your writings.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited December 2003
    Try This.

Dexter...
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    there goes that idea...but u sound just about right...i tried making it with a wav-> midi player...and it sux0rz the big onez
  • edited December 2003
    Thrax has got it.

A MIDI file is nothing more than the "sheet music" of a composition, whereas a WAV/MP3 is an entire orchestra + sheet music. In the case of MIDI, the actual voices are generated by whatever hardware (or software) is enabled for the task. This is why MIDI is small, yet sounds different on nearly every machine.

Unless you have a way to recompose the music into MIDI, it cannot be done. There is no way to convert an MP3 file directly into a MIDI format.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited December 2003
    Did you try the software I linked above?

From the site:
    IntelliScore separates your WAV, MP3, CD, and live music into different MID tracks depending on each note's pitch and position in the stereo image. This can greatly reduce editing time for music containing several instruments.

This seems to claim to do it, although I have not tested it, so cannot vouch for the results.

Dexter...
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Dexter has a VERY good idea. Other than feeding a digital image to a keyboard and than inmporting it back through DSP again, through the midi\game port on the computer and then back in from the keyboard (which typically uses its knowledge of instrument voices in something like a Yamaha instrument voice processor (basicly a DSP plus intstrument voice (digital sound and frequency) patterns in firmware) to handle the separation)( the best way is hardware), next best is something like Intelliscore with voice patterns in software that separates the voices for you using a sound card that is midi capable and avoiding the midi I\O to keyboard with results that are not as perfect and take much longer, but which are decent with good software. The interesting thing about sound cards with midi\gaming ports is that Windows can run a joystick OR a midi throughput through that port.not both at once, but either\or. The best software can blend 64 instrument voicesor more, as separate streams that are co-ordinated.

I have used something like this, same name, way back in Atari days. Primesuspect probably knows how to do this still also.

John.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I have no idea how to do this. I'm sure dexter's link is probably the best/only course of action for you.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited December 2003
    MIDI - sequenced audio
    WAV, MP3 - streamed audio

It'd be interesting to try and convert streamed to sequence without doing it manually.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Midi files are simply scripts. Mod files are sequenced samples. Midi files are basically scripts which tell what midi library sample to play and when, and the sample libraries are stored on the sound card itself (which is why they sound different on different cards). MOD files are the same as Midi, but the actual sound samples are stored in the file, along with information such as reverb, looping, pitch and other info.

Basically, a Midi file is never going to sound like an actual song or track unless the song has no vocals and was made on a £10 keyboard.

Mod files on the other hand, though difficult, could almost accurately reproduce a song, though it isn't usual for it to be done.

Midi Sample - http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stadium/2296/midi/sultan.mid
    MOD Sample - (Attached - Rename to .mod)

I would have got the same song, but Google has been overrun by search whoring Ringtone sites with no files.