WHS Sharing Question

Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
edited November 2008 in Science & Tech
Does anyone know if it's possible to access files that are within the 'Backup' sections of the server via network/remote? It seems that you have to setup 'Share' folders for anything you want accessed, but I'd like to have access to everything on my drives that is currently being backed up. So essentially, I'd have to have two copies of all my files on the server - one for backup and one for shares. It doesn't seem to make sense that this would be necessary, so wondering if I'm missing something.

Comments

• phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited November 2008
    uhh.. windows home server? i'm guessing you can probably share the root of the drive... and then everything will be shared. Not sure how safe that is exactly, but wtf. You didn't say anything about safely sharing.

Maybe it's just me, but i'm kind of confused by your post...
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited November 2008
    The issue (as it looks to me) is that you don't really set any file permissions for files directly on the server that are backups. For instance, I have a few hundred gigs of data backed up from my desktop. I'm unable to really see any of those files, the server just shows the used space as for 'Backups'.

But I can create shared folders on the server. Ex. I make a folder on the server called 'Scripts' and copy a bunch of files into it. Those are now accessible to any networked/remote computer, but the problem is I have to manually do that for anything I want shared. Also, it takes up extra storage space cause there are now two copies of the same file on the server. I'd like to have EVERYTHING accessible, and I was hoping that someone may know a way around this because it appears that WHS was not really designed to do this.