Acronis to new drive?

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited November 2008 in Science & Tech
Hi all,
My sons PC is making noises and his C drive failed a test he did so he wants to replace it before it fails. He has Acronis installed and has made an image on the other drive and made the rescue disc. Can we just replace the failing drive with a new one and restore the data, including windows, to the new drive? Will Acronis take care of formatting and partitioning the new drive?

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2008
    Sorry for the bump but I want to do this tomorrow.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Yes, it's possible to restore the image to the new drive. Be warned that the new drive will take the partition sizes of your image, so you'll have to resize partitions afterwards.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Yes.... acronis can detect external drives. Image the current drive to the external. Arconis "should" be able to shrink the partition... if you just copy the drive, then the size will remain the same.
    edited November 2008
    What we have is a replacement drive of the same size.We have made an image of C. Can we just take the C drive out, put the new one in then restore the image to the new drive? What about formatting etc?
    edited November 2008
    Hmmmm, beware the software. His PC was clicking when started from cold so he ran the tests, Seasoft claimed both his drives failed the test and were about to fail. I thought it odd that both should fail, neither is more than 2 years old. But he wanted to replace them for peace of mind anyway. We have just cloned his C drive and it is working fine but.....Seasoft also claims this new drive is about to fail!!! I told him to bin the test.