New Build - Won't POST

RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
edited November 2008 in Hardware
So my new parts arrived, and today was the day I was going to get the new build put together.

MOBO: P5Q Pro
CPU: 9550 Intel Core 2 Quad
RAM: G-Skill 2x 2GB
DVD: Sata DVD
HD's: 3x 150GB (connected to a hardware RAID Card)
Video: Nvidia 8800GT

So there's a bunch of other stuff, but that's all that's hooked up. When I press the power button, I get a quick beep, and that's it. No post. In fact the monitor doesn't even come to life (either one I've tried). I've tried changing out the video card to an old ati x800 to see if that's the issue... nothing. I've tried different RAM combos with how I have it seated. I've tried both the 4pin power, and the 8pin power (4 pins were plugged, so I'm assuming I don't need 8), nothing....

The weird thing is I don't have USB power... if the system is "on" and i plug in a usb mouse, it lights up for a split second, then goes dark...

I'm about to disconnect everything other than the video card (ati one), and the ram and see if that makes a difference... but if someone has an ideas, please let me know...

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Take it out of the case and run it on a piece of wood or cardboard.
  • edited November 2008
    Do like Thrax said and take it out of the case. And go with a minimum amount of stuff installed. Just the processor, a stick of ram and a video card and see if you can get to a post screen.
  • RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
    edited November 2008
    Ok, so when I built it outside of the case, it boots... So now I'll try to put it back inside the case and see what happens...
  • RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
    edited November 2008
    Ok, so I put it back inside the case, and it posts. So I load in the extra cards, and it doesn't post again. I narrowed it down to my RAID controller card. I'm plugging it into the 2nd PCI Express slot, as that's the only one that will fit it. According to the lsi site, I'm suppose to be plugging it into the PCI Express slot.

So now what? I had designed my build around this RAID card. This is the RAID card I'm using: http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/internal_raid/megaraid_sas/megaraid_sas_8344elp/index.html

Anyone have any ideas?
  • edited November 2008
    Did you try installing the card without hooking up any hard drives to it? Or did you install the card and hook the drives up and then try booting up?

If you tried booting with just the card and no drives connected, then I would hazard a guess that the card is bad.