Need advice for webpage layout and appearance

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    In all honesty, testing for IE6 just makes your page code look awful (because of the hacks). Honestly, your best bet is to say on the main page "Best viewed in IE7 and FF, if you're using IE6, why not upgrade?" and some stuff about why they should, or even better, why IE6 is the worst thing since IE 5.5
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Add a link to Microsoft to make it easier... ;)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I don't really feel comfortable neglecting over 10% of my impressions.
    What you should fix: Things that completely break the site in IE6 and make it unusable
    What you shouldn't fix: Transparent PNGs, alignment problems, etc.

People using IE6 need to upgrade or get off the Internet. That's my heartfelt opinion. :D

13% of Icrontic's readers arrive in IE6. And remember, this is actually our livelihood, not just a brochure site. How does it look? The tabs look horrible and have a gap under them, the logo ducks under the feature articles, and the sidebar drops to the bottom of the page. But, you can definitely get to all the content and read it just fine. If you want to browse like it's 1998, be prepared for the consequences.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Honestly, your best bet is to say on the main page "Best viewed in IE7 and FF, if you're using IE6, why not upgrade?"

lol do not do this. If you do go ahead and make the links Comic Sans and put best viewed in 800x600 in the footer as well.:vimp:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Put a hit counter on there while you're at it :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    blinking marquee :rockon:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    ok ok ok. enough joking. :D

Can we continue? I'm really itching to learn this because I played with the css/html some more and it still didn't work.
    edited November 2008
    I'm mocking something up now.
    edited November 2008
    Ok, look at the zip and I think you will be able to see what I did.

I changed the background to a .jpg like I suggested earlier because now it will show right on all browsers.

Now the drop shadow background for the container is really easy actually. You will see in the index file there is an if statement that tells the browser to include an additional CSS file if it is IE6 or below. In the ie6.css I just had it include a modified background that IE6 (and below) can handle. So the IE6 users don't get the hawt drop shadow they get a perfectly looking functioning page.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I work for the government so everything I crank out has to not only work in IE6 but be fully accessible to screen readers. :bigggrin:
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    jared wrote:
    lol do not do this. If you do go ahead and make the links Comic Sans and put best viewed in 800x600 in the footer as well.:vimp:

I live in a world where we're still supporting IE 5.5, Eudora, and other stuff. A small, unobtrusive amount of text at the bottom saying this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Edit: The reason I say this is because some people aren't aware they're using something extremely old. Take my father, he wouldn't know IE5 from Firefox (much less IE4 to IE7/8/Epic). Also take the government work I do, while adding it to your actual page is silly, suggesting to clients who use a system you maintain that they move on from IE 5.5 is to upgrade. I guess I'm just looking out for the less tech savvy individuals in the world.
    edited November 2008
    Ok. I worked that part out. I changed up the graphics a little bit because they were a little wide for my tastes. (I want people at 1024x768 to see at least a little of the bg and not have a horizontal scroll bar) And I also made it to where ff would have the drop shadow and ie6 has a straight line going down. Since I don't have ie6, I just made another file to see what it would look like

index.htm is ff/ie7/etc
    index2.htm is what ie6 should look like (just for my preview purposes, I understand the auxilary css file)

I also did the min-height just becase I was going crazy only seeing half my page filled (24" monitor). I'll probably end up removing the 3 lines of css in the end but for now I need it to see how everything will look.

The only thing I am confused on is the math used to get div widths, and padding/margin values. I never did figure it out so I just brute forced my way into correctness for the most part.

I really wanted more of a margin (space edge of container to content) but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Anyway. what's the next step?
    edited November 2008
    padding + width = the width of the div
    Margin is the space outside the div.

In CSS it goes like this (for margin or padding):
    padding: top right bottom left
    OR
    padding topANDbottom rightANDleft

So if you have 20px padding on the right and left (like in the example I uploaded) and you want the div to be 988px (giving room for the drop shadow on each side)
    width: 948px;
    padding: 0 20px;

So your div is going to be 948px + 20px padding on the right + 20px padding on the left = 988 width overall.

The box model (google it) is kinda stupid and takes a bit to get down but that's just the way it goes.

If you want to give more space for the background re-do things so that your container div is ~900px + ~15px on both sides for the drop shadow. Which would but you at about 930px. Ideally you want to stay under 960px;

A few things if you are going to get into web design.
    First use multiple IEs for testing http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE
    Secondly, use the 960 photoshop grid when designing - it will make your life a lot easier. http://960.gs/

cheers :jared:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Jared is writing a CSS+HTML+Web Basics book right in this very thread
    edited November 2008
    Ok sweet. That makes sense now. I'm just having to relearn all the jargon from the print industry.

Where I thought padding was the 'cushion space' outside an element' and the margin was the space inside an element. Now my confusion makes sense but I got it figured out. And before I thought that the background element could only occupy the space of the div itself, not the div+padding. It helps to know the correct definitions. I should have looked those up.

I have the div 872px wide with 43px of padding on either side to bump it all back to 958px total. Nice. I'm proud of myself.

I also went ahead and got as far as I could without any help, if I screwed up don't smack me too hard.

[HTML]
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"&gt;
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"&gt;
    <head>
    ****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <title>test</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="stylesheet.css" />
    <!--[if lte IE 6]> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="ie6.css" /> <![endif]-->
    </head>
    <body>
    <div id="container">

<div id="header">
    <a href="."><div id="logo"><h1><span>Oklahoma State Delts</span></h1></div></a>
    </div><!-- /header -->

<div id="top_menu">
    <ul class="menu">
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>About ΔΤΔ</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Rush Delt</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Scholarhsip</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Photo Gallery</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Calendar</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Alumni</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Contact Us</span></a></li>
    </ul>
    </div><!-- /top_menu -->

<div id="side_menu">
    <h3>Home Menu</h3>
    <ul>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>About ΔΤΔ</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Rush Delt</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Scholarhsip</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Photo Gallery</span></a></li>
    </ul>
    </div><!-- /side_menu -->

<div id="side_menu">
    <h3>Rush Delt</h3>
    <ul>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Why Delt?</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>About Rush</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Info for Parents</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>FAQ</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Rush Contact</span></a></li>
    </ul>

<div id="side_menu">
    <h3>Resources</h3>
    <ul>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Chapter Documents</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Memeber Email</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>National Website</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>Delt InCircle</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>OSU IFC</span></a></li>
    <li class="itemx"><a href="."><span>OSU Greek Life</span></a></li>
    </ul>

<div id="content">
    <div id="doc1">
    <h1>Welcome</h1>

Work Hard, Play Hard is the motto we live by at Delta Tau Delta. Work Hard, because we excel in leadership, academics, and service to others. Play Hard, because we recognize that there is more to life than classes and problem sets. We pride ourselves on being one of the most successful and social fraternities on campus.

<p>We live in an spacious two-story house on University street, within easy walking distance of the campus. Amenities such as a big screen HDTVs, DirecTV, high-speed internet, laundry facilities, full parking lot, pool table, and our chef, Ken, make life more comfortable. The Delt Shelter is the place where we have fun, study, and visit, even years after we graduate.</p>

<p>Our 45 brothers represent many different backgrounds, 6 states, 12 majors, ten varsity sports, and are involved in everything from community service at Habitat for Humanity to managing their own start-up companies.</p>
    </div><!-- /doc1 -->

<div id="doc2">
    <h2>Current Events</h2>
    <ul>
    <li><a href="http://www.tumbleweedconcerts.com/reddirtwekend.htm&quot; target="_blank">Red Dirt Weekend</a> is October 23<sup>th</sup>-25<sup>th</sup></li>
    <li>Cowboys play Texas October 25<sup>th</sup></li>
    </ul>
    </div><!-- /doc2 -->

<div id="doc3">
    <h2>News and Announcements</h2>
    <ul>
    <li><a href="/fr">Fall Recruitment</a> is happening now! </li>
    <li>Take a look at the <a href="/gallery">photo gallery</a>. </li>
    <li>Are you an Alumni? Please update your <a href="/alumc">contact information</a>.</li>
    <li>The <a href="/carnival">carnival</a> was a huge success. We raised around $10,000 for the night </li>
    <li>The <a href="http://delts.org&quot; target="_blank" title="National Delta Tau Delta Website">national website</a> has been redesigned, check it out. </li>
    </ul>
    </div><!-- /doc3 -->
    </div><!-- /content -->

<div id="footer">
    <div id="footer_l">
    <div id="footer_r">
    Site design by Andy Ingraham <br />
    Copyright © 2008-2009 Delta Chi Chapter, Delta Tau Delta <br />