MMC/SD Card Reader Works/Doesn't Work?

edited December 2008 in Hardware
I don't know if I should post this here or not but I figured since it involves an 8gb sd card that it would count as storage so here goes...

It's suposed to be an 8-in-1 media card reader, but that slot there for the MMC/SD Card doesn't work. It used to work before, but then recently I did a restore, wiped everything clean and re-installed everything, everything is updated, XP SP3. I have a little Sony Memory Stick 16mb that plugs in the same slot and works, the SD Card is more like an adapter with a micro sd card in it. The micro sd card (an 8gb) works because I tried both SD Adapter with the micro card in another computer and it works fine, but not on mine. I've been searching around and I've come across some people who are experiencing similar problems either restoring XP or with SP3. The thing is that before it was working fine even with SP3 so I don't think that could be the problem, then again it could be, I don't know. The slot works just not with the SD Adapter and micro sd adapter, it works with the sony memory stick. The only thing that does happen is a light comes on when I plug in the adapter with the micro card. Before I would usually hear a noise when plugging and unplugging, now not even that, and when I try to open it, it doesn't, it just tries to load but nothing loads and nothing ever happens. My question now is... if there is a way to fix this or get it to work?

Comments

• edited November 2008
    did the device work with the 8gb card before you wiped?

have you tried other SD cards?

you may want to look for drivers specific to your reader. It is possible that the out-of-box driver of SP3 is not working as intended.
  • edited December 2008
    Before I only had a 1gb micro sd card which seemed to work fine, until now, I have a total of 4 cards (1) 512mb; (1) 1gb; (1) 4gb; and (1) 8gb and neither works. The cards work fine, just not in the card reader.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Please post a screenshot of your device manager.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited December 2008
    Just going to throw this out there but I found that dust caused a similar problem for me. Try giving it a blow and whatever other cleaning you can then test it out. If that doesn't work give Thrax's instructions a go.