How to take a screenie of a DVD movie?

panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
edited December 2003 in Internet & Media
I'm using Intervideo's plugin for WMP9 and Zoom Player. I cannot get screen captures of DVD's from either of these. Print Screen only gives me the dark bakground, but not what's actually being shown. What do I need to get a stinkin capture from a DVD? Thanks - much frustrated

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Just open another video program and leave it in the background. It's some interleave thing.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited December 2003
    So open WMP9, have it play the DVD, open WINAMP and have it play a video, and then take a screenie of the DVD movie playing?

I have a ATI 9700Pro btw.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Correct.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited December 2003
    Or use a screen capture Program like Snagit.

Bear in mind that all images in a commercial DVD are protected by copyright, so capturing them is technically illegal.

Just so's ya knows....

Dexter...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    If you can get ahold of the program PowerDVD, it has a screen capture functionality built in - it lets you just hit a hotkey and it saves the image to a specified directory. That way you can do a bunch of captures from a movie and not have to switch back and forth for all that pasting.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Just remember that PowerDVD defaults to capturing to clipboard; you have to set it to save to disk in sequence manually.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited December 2003
    Dexter wrote:
    Or use a screen capture Program like Snagit.

Bear in mind that all images in a commercial DVD are protected by copyright, so capturing them is technically illegal.

Just so's ya knows....

Dexter...

Yeah the actual purpose for this is so I can grab a small part of the scene where there is some japanese lettering. I would like to use these in a signature banner, and since I can't do calligraphy...
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    PowerDVD is a great DVD program, but don't you have to disable hardware acceleration to get screen captures?..Maximum PC did an article on that to solve a reader's similar problem.