Today is NxE day (New Xbox Experience)

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Gaming

Comments

• edited November 2008
    My main question remains - what about the old "blade" system? I know it's defunct now, but it it still an option? What about people who have purchased themes for the blades? Are they now totally SOL on their "investments"?

Don't look at me like that - I've never purchase a theme and don't use even free ones. But I'm still a bit turned off by a "forced update" idea if the old version isn't even a legacy option. Do they have a "legacy" mode?
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited November 2008
    Where'd you download ths from Prime? MS site???

EDIT: Nevermind, re-read the article.

My 360 was never hooked up to our network. It will be in the new house though...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I can't see a legacy option - but when one purchases blade themes, they still show up in the background of the NxE. Let's be fair: a "theme" just consisted of five separate images, one for each blade. The NxE uses the images as backgrounds.

I currently have the Castle Crashers theme (Free. I would, like you, be very hard pressed to pay for five jpgs) and it carried over to the NxE.

I highly doubt there's going to be a way to go back to the dashboard. It's defunct, and doesn't support the functionality that Xbox Live has gone forward with (Avatars, netflix, parties, etc.)

Rada: It just automatically comes when you go online with your 360.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited November 2008
    You don't wear cool fedoras or have earrings. What a gyp.
    edited November 2008
    Actually I have three piercings in my left ear.. I should get those re-done. It's been a while.
  • edited November 2008
    WHAT? I thought Xbox had said the blades were still going to be available to use, though I do agree that the new way of viewing is MUCH better.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Yeah I thought Major Nelson said on his blog you could keep the blades if you wanted to.

I don't have a 360 though so really I have no clue. :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    The stolen Miis are stupid.
    edited November 2008
    On a semi-related note, the 360 continues to CRUSH the PS3 in sales. Look at the numbers for October...

Wii - 803,000
    Nintendo DS - 491,000
    Xbox 360 - 371,000
    PSP - 193,000
    PlayStation 3 - 190,000
    PlayStation 2 - 136,000
    edited November 2008
    If 360 crushes PS3, what does that say about the Wii?

DOMINATION... :eek3:
    edited November 2008
    Yet everyone I know (at least my friends) bought one, played it for the first 30 days or so, and went back to their 360. :ninja:

It's pretty much a novelty. You want one because everyone else does or owns one. Once you buy it you pick up the best 2-3 games people are raving about. Play them for a bit. Then it becomes a dust collector :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    In the words of Unreal Tournament:

H-H-H-HOLY SHIT-shit-shit
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Pff.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited November 2008
    I agree..

We're staying with friends while we close escrow on our house. They own a 360 and a Wii.

I've seen the Wii being used 3 times (by the kids 4 & 2 1/2), and the 360 is on almost daily...

jared wrote:
    Yet everyone I know (at least my friends) bought one, played it for the first 30 days or so, and went back to their 360. :ninja:

It's pretty much a novelty. You want one because everyone else does or owns one. Once you buy it you pick up the best 2-3 games people are raving about. Play them for a bit. Then it becomes a dust collector :D
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2008
    I don't like nor dislike the new interface. I think it's overall cleaner, which is a good thing. But I never found the previous blades to be confusing so it's not like this comes across as an upgrade.

So as far as the new features are concerned if I was a netflix user I'd be excited, but I'm not so meh.

The avatars - who cares. When I want cute I'll turn on my Wii and go march in the Wii parade.

The ability to install games to the harddrive is a nice addition, but I still need the disk in the drive which means I'm still going to have to get 15-30 seconds of energy when I want to flip between games. So I'm not feeling a revolution here. However it has sped up the load times on some games and made for a quieter xbox, and a quieter xbox is a happier me.

Overall lots of hype for the hype machine in this patch but nothing that is screaming out gotta have it. Well I guess unless your a net flixer and in that case this is good news and not just yet another day.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2008
    Everything else aside with the NxE the ability to install games to the harddrive does rock, for some games. For all games the fact that it no longer access your disk means a quieter happier Xbox, which is nice. But in other games like Fallout 3 for example the reduction in load times is indeed a nice bonus treat.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Tried the Netflix streaming last night. Yeah, that's something I'll definitely be using.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I think I like it, not too shabby, easy to navigate. The main thing I like about the NXE though is that I can install games to my HD thus allowing me to turn off the woodchipper that is the DVD drive. HORRAY!!! Some games even see a bit quicker load time by doing this but I mostly care about not having to hear the drive anymore. Apparently due to Halo3's design though, it actually runs worse on the HD than from the DVD. O well.

My Wii is also in a box, hasn't been used since I beat Zelda.
    edited November 2008
    If only I had 120gb instead of 20 measly gigs, this would appeal to me.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    If only I had 120gb instead of 20 measly gigs, this would appeal to me.
    That can be fixed.
    edited November 2008
    Not cheaply!
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    The install to hard drive option is what pushed me to buy an Elite last time my console RROD'd. Jeez, I'm such a horrible person. Continuing to support something that has failed completely on me twice.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I am going to join the XBox 360 party soon. I am going to pick up the 360 with four free games at Best Buy on Black Friday. The Netflix is what really sold me.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Awesome!!!
  • edited January 2009
    all nxe is not for me. I wish they would give us a choice to at least not see it on a our own console. I bought a game box not a MMPC... that and I just despise avatars for some reason... my problem but wish i could turn it off. that and the spot light channel. if they want to make an improvement... how but a letting me customise the blade i see... not shoving more adds in may face.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    How hard is it to push up and down on the d-pad/analog stick?

Further, why not just set up the console to load the game directly, rather than loading the dashboard? Pushing the xbox button while ingame provides you with anything you're looking for, without all the added fluff (as that seems to be what you dislike most).