Mirror's Edge on PC to use PhysX

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Gaming

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I have a very hard time getting excited with anything involving PhysX, given how well it's been utilized since all the excitement over it for GRAW in 2006 (which was pretty yawn-worthy itself.)

I can't help but wonder what they'll plan to do with it in a game who's world is made up of variations of 4 colors. Make me eat my words, EA.
  • jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    This game has its draw backs. Its really short! It take about 4 hours to beat and the voice acting is god awful. The fighting aspect of the game has glitches they should of worked out before launching the game, but then again it is EA. They could of done so much better with this game.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    NiGHTS wrote:
    I have a very hard time getting excited with anything involving PhysX, given how well it's been utilized since all the excitement over it for GRAW in 2006 (which was pretty yawn-worthy itself.)

I can't help but wonder what they'll plan to do with it in a game who's world is made up of variations of 4 colors. Make me eat my words, EA.

Now that it's free for anyone with an 8800-series or better card, something is better than nothing.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I'm not so concerned with the use of PhysX, but more with EA's penchant for retarded DRM schemes. $50 for a six-hour game that I have to get permission to install? I'll probably pass.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    mertesn wrote:
    I'm not so concerned with the use of PhysX, but more with EA's penchant for retarded DRM schemes. $50 for a six-hour game that I have to get permission to install? I'll probably pass.

Not so much permission, you just need to send EA a notarized copy of your social security card, driver's license, your last three electric bill from your current residence, a letter from your lawyer stating your intent in installing the product, provide three references from each of your last three places of employment, a 15 page thesis on the evils of pirating and your solution for stopping this great injustice to the human race, and then be subject to multiple body cavity searches and a minimum of 2 phone conferences with EA's very own chief of staff. Once this is complete you will have the PRIVILEGE of being able to install the product a maximum of 3 times per license.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Not so much permission, you just need to send EA a notarized copy of your social security card, driver's license, your last three electric bill from your current residence, a letter from your lawyer stating your intent in installing the product, provide three references from each of your last three places of employment, a 15 page thesis on the evils of pirating and your solution for stopping this great injustice to the human race, and then be subject to multiple body cavity searches and a minimum of 2 phone conferences with EA's very own chief of staff. Once this is complete you will have the PRIVILEGE of being able to install the product a maximum of 3 times per license.

So why'd they take the semen sample from me? That was EA...right?
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    So why'd they take the semen sample from me? That was EA...right?

Drat, I forgot the part about the fertility test and the blood work :(
    edited November 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Now that it's free for anyone with an 8800-series or better card, something is better than nothing.

Doing something for the sake of doing it (and sacrificing time to market to do it) better make the juice worth the squeeze and blow the consumer's mind away. Especially if they plan on doing this in future games.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2008

WHEN is someone going to do a IC gaming writeup on EA and it's abhorrent DRM?

...Calling someone, anyone out.

NiGHTS: GRAW's implementation of PhysX was awful. It was a quick piss-poor cashin on an emerging technology. UT3's PhysX only maps too were an overly-simple and hardly functional use of the technology.

Up to this point, PhysX has not been used to it's full potential because there hasn't been a need - or a market - to do it for. The Ageia PPU's were viewed as nothing more than an expensive gimmick.

Now that the PhysX tech is implemented through a large number of GPU's, the tech literally can't help but be implemented in a user's system. Developers can start experimenting now, and in the future they'll have no reason to be afraid of the tech and avoid putting it in their games.

There's no doubt that physics processing is here to stay. It's got a handle on the future of interactivity in games. But one look at current standards (havok) and place it in a highly interactive environment and it's not hard to see how terribly limited it is in it's current state. Letting our GPUs handle these calculations will only open the floodgates to real time interactions. Rigid bodies, soft bodies, fluid simulations, it'll all be there and in the end it's the gamers that win.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Sounds like another article, Lynx. Sell us on Physics...
    edited November 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Up to this point, PhysX has not been used to it's full potential because there hasn't been a need - or a market - to do it for. The Ageia PPU's were viewed as nothing more than an expensive gimmick.

Now that the PhysX tech is implemented through a large number of GPU's, the tech literally can't help but be implemented in a user's system. Developers can start experimenting now, and in the future they'll have no reason to be afraid of the tech and avoid putting it in their games.

There's no doubt that physics processing is here to stay. It's got a handle on the future of interactivity in games. But one look at current standards (havok) and place it in a highly interactive environment and it's not hard to see how terribly limited it is in it's current state. Letting our GPUs handle these calculations will only open the floodgates to real time interactions. Rigid bodies, soft bodies, fluid simulations, it'll all be there and in the end it's the gamers that win.

Right, I understand this argument and agree with it. I guess what I need to do is clarify mine: I'm coming in with the assumption that it's going to be a disappointment yet again. What I'm worried about (and essentially what you and Thrax have both somewhat stated) is that EA's tack-it-on-because-we-can approach rather than proper implementation of the tech is better than nothing. Obviously my counter-argument doesn't hold much weight since we have no physical product to look at. Though, given its past failures, I feel I've got fairly sound footing. The almighty PPU engine has yet to hit 6th gear (...or 3rd, for that matter). I'm just more concerned with how EA's going about implementing this idea than anything else.

Now, I understand that there's a proper gestation period for new tech to enter the market. I understand it takes a while to perfect it. I also understand it's been over 2 years since this hit the market. I've been overly critical of PPU's from their failures thus far, and have yet to see a real killer app for it outside of a game that purposely has 400 barrels sitting in your way.

Physics was a big deal 2 years ago. Video effects were a big deal 2 years ago. Of those two categories, video's made rather large leaps while physics has not. Sure, you're comparing an established market (perhaps on the downward trend of it) to a new market - but ATi and nVidia have still figured out ways to push the limits of cards without gobbling themselves up in the process.

Just as confusing for me is the way PPUs have been sold to me, the consumer. So far, it seems a PPU's main use would be for action packed games that have explosions and bodies flying everywhere at a near constant rate to give the ultimate 'wow factor.' Given this market segment (arguably, a rather large one in computer gaming) why would you choose this game to be the next challenger?

Am I excited about the PPU? Yes.
    Do I want to see the tech succeed? Yes.
    Am I excited that nVidia purchased this technology and made it more 'mainstream'? Yes.

I just want to see it done right. It's been half-assed enough, give me a reason to purchase an nVidia card.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited November 2008
    Why have I not heard of this game?? As NiGHTS said, if it's not half-assed I might just sell my 4870 and get a Physx Enabled Nvidia card. Probably not a cost effective move though.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Awesome physics are awesome.