Icrontic I DARE you..

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Gaming
To watch this and not explode into a fit of rage:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43204.html?type=

Note - this is the 360 version. You can clearly tell by the TERRIBLE aiming precision.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    To watch this and not explode into a fit of rage:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43204.html?type=

Note - this is the 360 version. You can clearly tell by the TERRIBLE aiming precision.

Why would this make me angry?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    It wasn't a bad review. I don't think they pushed home the overriding point of this game though: It is not meant to be a single player experience. You simply must play the game with three friends or it WILL get old, fast.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, seems like a pretty fair review to me. :) Hopefully they'll add more guns and levels.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    -needs rocket launchers
    -stresses cooperatively too much
    -not enough run and gunning
    -infected NEVER win in versus
    -too many enemies

fair review? Or blatantly talking about a game in which you know nothing.
    edited November 2008
    I agree that all those points are off base, but they just look like weak reviewing to me, nothing infuriating.

The game was clearly reviewed by a console FPS player.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Meh, he clearly underestimates the power of cooperative gaming. Fair review for "mainstream" gamers I suppose.

It's quite clear to me this game was meant to utilize the friends lists that TF2 built up.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    Fair review for "mainstream" gamers I suppose.

That's what I mean. Let's be honest, not many gamers play like the gamers at IC. :) They don't use military tactics articles.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    IC rolls deep.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I think 8.6 is a fair score for this game. Its metascore on Steam is 88. TF2 only got a 92 metascore.

It all comes down to if Valve adds content in a suitable timeframe.

I'm actually glad there aint no friggin rocket launcher. I would like to see a grenade launcher on the M-16 assault rifle from like Half Life. Dual Uzi's? Also some melee weapons would be a nice bonus.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    The game was clearly reviewed by a console FPS player.

His shoddy aim would suggest otherwise ;)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    chainsaw
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Oh come on, just let TF2 classes play Left 4 Dead. Heavy medic ftw.

edit// Watched the video. I couldn't help but shake my head when they declared that the game had "maybe four hours of play" online. WHAT!?! Maybe four hours every time you play. I dunno, maybe people are crappier to play with on Xbox, but they really seemed to downplay co-op play. They made it sound like that would be a downside. They bemoan the lack of hundreds of different weapons and such, which if you ask me isn't a downer. They are all scaled well and each weapon is more useful depending on your play style. It also sounded like they played the game for 15 minutes for game action for the video in which they sprayed walls and spent entire clips on one or two zombies.

I also think that the score was pretty fair. I might have bumped it up a little, but from how the review went I didn't think they were giving it as high a score as it got. Also get this game for PC, not Xbox. Why get any valve game for xbox if you have a capable computer?
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Yea, I don't think the review is all that bad. The game DOES need some more levels, which hopefully will come out in the not too far distant future.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited November 2008
    More weapons would be nice. More more survivor choices. Just re-skins. More different modes of play. A King of the hill mode, or defend the point mode. An arena or deathmatch (all survivors vs survivors, or an infected vs infected). Ability to play as a witch would be nice.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I really didn't find fault with too many of the things in the review. Some things were mentioned, but I didn't feel like anything was too far off base or showed a bias. The worst part of it was the constant reminder of the game's length. Sure its not long, but its not meant to be. You're supposed to enjoy how the game changes with each playthrough, which you are able to do frequently because of the short campaigns.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    -Need sledgehammer, axe, and baseball bat
    -More survivors
    -More levels
    -More unique infected
    Ability to play as a witch would be nice.
    This wouldn't work.

The whole point of the witch is to sneak past her and not scare her. If a survivor does scare her, she only goes after him or her.

There would be no point for a player to sit and wait for a survivor to get close enough to startle the witch, only to chase after the one person and kill him. And then when he did kill the survivor, he would run around screaming?
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Melee weapons would be cool but I'm happy with the weapons already provided. And Valve has made it clear that new maps and play modes would be added on in a similar fashion to TF2. I think the review was fair for an Xbox player as updates and co-op is a lot harder to pull off for consoles.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    i do believe a TF2 update is in store before a L4D update
  • ThrallThrall steinbach MB Canada
    edited November 2008
    one thing that they took out that they could have given a try was the skreemer it was a unique zombie that they took out if you want to learn more about it go through the developers commentary.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Also the way Left 4 Dead is designed makes it very easy to add content. You don't have to fiddle with a story or worry about chronological order. Just plug-in a weapons pack with new weapons, or add another mission that people can play. Pretty slick.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Would be pretty sweet to revamp the game. Change out the infected zombies and weapons. Add four different types of zombies and add weapons like flame throwers, land mines, scoped assault rifle, etc. $10 says Valve is going to call it an expansion and charge for it.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    The review isn't really that far off, that's true. Just some of the things he suggested/complained about seem absolutely asinine. Then again, you guys have a point. Most gamers don't play to the level of coordination and tactics that we do...

Future updates to L4D would be great, but I hope Valve doesn't get in over their heads. Valve seems to have a bad track record going with forgetting about previous releases and only focusing on their newest. Look at Counter-Strike Source and Day of Defeat Source. Both were planned to have new content, and while they did get some for a short amount of time (the weapon price scaling in CSS comes to mind) they have been utterly neglected since newer games have come out.

TF2 is Valve's pride and joy, and in my opinion their best product. They started rolling out class updates and unlockables, as well as new maps, but update news on new unlockables have been notably absent since L4D's upcoming and eventual release. I really hope Valve keeps trucking with TF2 because that's where their strength is right now.

Valve is a small company. They can't have continual upkeep on all of their products, it's simply too much for them. TF2 and L4D both deserve more updates - and content in some cases - so I really hope they keep at it, primarily with TF2.
    edited November 2008
    A King of the hill mode, or defend the point mode.

The final zone in each episode, where you have to hold out until rescue, FEELS like King of the hill or defend the point mode.. ;D
    edited November 2008
    What they need to do ASAP is implement a difficulty setting for versus.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I really think the difficulty level is just fine where it's at...

/me shrugs