Kooling with the kretins.

13»

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    You better destroy the IC super Pi record.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    I was thinking the water on just the one rad would be cool enough to run the CPU and vidcard together with an overclock just nicely. But when you get the second one going, with that cold 20f air, I'm thinking you will be able to hit 4.4ghz with no sweat.

oh and thanks for the video card posts. The memory on my 8800gt is pretty much laid out the same way. However, there is "0" active cooling on them. I was shocked when I removed my gpu cooler to apply some arctic silver and discovered the thing didn't actually make contact with the memory. Explains why I couldn't overclock the memory at all.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited January 2009
    It's shockingly common for the memory to not be actively cooled. =/ They'll take any design shortcut they can to save a buck sometimes.

I was pleased to see that the memory on the Sapphire HD4870 1GB was actively cooled by the stock cooler, albeit with heat transfer pads, which are very inefficient.

Without the pads, the cooler would not contact the memory modules. For shame.

BTW: 4.4Ghz would be SWEET, but I think it's unrealistic. I haven't seen anybody get that high without LN2. 4.2Ghz would be absolute gold.

SuperPi will be SAMSHED>>.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    In the past, ramsinks haven't helped me overclock video memory at all. I imagine coverage with a water block could make a much bigger difference, though.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Come smash SuperPi. :P
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    AND samsh it. :crazy:
    edited January 2009
    Hahaha, the bar has been set high. Very high.

I can attempt.

SuperPi is a crappy benchmark for an efficiency-driven quad core, though. **** me, I'm already making excuses.

Must... Not... Be...... intimidated.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2009
    So, you started all balls to the wall and wotnot. Well, did they shrivel up and fall off? Where's the update man? :)
    edited February 2009
    Hahah, yeah they fell right off once I sprayed them with the UV blue paint. =[

I got really burned out on hardware after spending almost every waking hour on the first stages of the build. I still need to finish the external radiator and the cold-air shroud. I am giving myself a break and then it will be full speed ahead.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2009
    Khaos wrote:
    Hahah, yeah they fell right off once I sprayed them with the UV blue paint. =[

I got really burned out on hardware after spending almost every waking hour on the first stages of the build. I still need to finish the external radiator and the cold-air shroud. I am giving myself a break and then it will be full speed ahead.

I've been there, on more than a few different projects. You can see the Finnish line but now you also have a good layout of the course and you're just sick of it and want to go home.

When I come against those huddles I just accomplish one thing. Like cut a few parts to size, drill a few holes, put some piston rings on, hot tank the head..etc One thing leads to another until you say crap I got a lot done.

Besides, we are all waiting for an update biatch! ;D
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    P*^$Y!:o:D
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I'm gonna be finished with my build before you :p
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Bump for update!
    edited March 2009
    Update: Furlough was consumed with alcohol, adventure and fornication.

I will finish the build soon. I promise.
    Komete wrote:
    When I come against those huddles I just accomplish one thing. Like cut a few parts to size, drill a few holes, put some piston rings on, hot tank the head..etc One thing leads to another until you say crap I got a lot done.
    Wise words.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited April 2009
    Khaos wrote:
    Update: Furlough was consumed with alcohol, adventure and fornication.

So what's up man? Are you broke, in rehab, with a broken leg, and Chlamydia because of your adventures? Where's the update?
    edited April 2009
    Komete wrote:
    So what's up man? Are you broke (1984 - 2006), in rehab (1999 - 2001, 2004, 2007 - 8), with a broken leg (2006), and Chlamydia (2008) because of your adventures? Where's the update?
    Laff :D

I am working on buying a new place and getting setup there. Things with my girlfriend have gotten more serious. Projects have been put off a bit.

Thanks for stopping by the thread to give a shout, bro. I will post updates as soon as they happen, and they will... Eventually. They always do. I'm just a touch ADHD with things on rare occasions.