DELL 1901FP monitor keeps running through colour screens

edited December 2008 in Hardware
My 1901FP Dell monitor just constantly runs through a loop of "black, white, red, green, blue" screens over and over again. does anyone know how i can fix this problem?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    This is probably a video card problem, not a monitor problem. Try the monitor on another computer, and try another monitor on the computer to make sure.
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks CB, I am writing this on the computer using the 'other' monitor, and I have the 1901FP blinking through it's colours i.e. not working on another computer and i've tried it on a laptop i have used it successfully on before with no positive result. I really really like this monitor so all your thoughts,hints, suggestions are thankfully recieved.

Regards
    D
    edited December 2008
    Hmm... So it is the monitor that's flaking out. That's an odd way for it to flake.

Unfortunately, when a monitor flakes out like that, there is often no fix, but keeping that in mind, let's try to narrow it down some more.

Does it do it when it's not connected to anything, or does it only do it when it's trying to receive a signal form a computer?
  • edited December 2008
    hi CB,

with nothing connected it comes on displays an initial splash screen and then moves into the flashing screens, connecting to the computer appears to make no difference, the monitor itself is about 3 years old..

Rgds
    D
    edited December 2008
    Sorry to say this, but I think the controller board in your monitor is borked. This is not something that can be repaired. The monitor will need to be replaced. :(

Don't take this only on my word, however. Wait a bit and see if one of my cohorts might stop by this thread with another idea.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Dell 1901FPs are notoriously fickle about automatically detecting that they're connected to a digital source (DVI). Try the following method to give it a swift kick in the ass:
    1. Connected the monitor via an analog connection (15 pin DSUB).
    2. If the display now works, open the OSD using the configuration buttons on the bezel.
    3. Use the OSD to complete a factory reset.
    4. Power the monitor and the PC, reconnect the monitor to DVI, and power both devices back on.

If the monitor is already connected via the traditional monitor connection (analog), your display is probably dead unless you can figure out how to navigate to a factory reset without being able to see the OSD.
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks for the insight guys, I will try the blind reset option in my desperation wish me luck.

Warm Regards
    D
  • edited December 2008
    WOW Got it back on it's feet... wrote down the factory reset sequence from http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1901FP/en/controls.htm
    (as wasn't sure which way the + and - keys moved through the menu I tried a couple of times both ways) on 3rd or so attempt an illegible but recognisable menu screen appeared, carried out the reset process again and a very washed out desktop was visible. reset it again and the screen went blank [scary....] then came back to life in full colour.

NOW I AM scared to turn the damn thing off.

Well thanks again for the pointers and I'm glad I didn't skip it straight away, but I guess I will have to consider it on it's last legs.

D
    edited December 2008
    I'm glad Thrax came by with something to try, then :D.

Yeah you should proly start thinking about replacing it. Luckily, this is a good time to buy monitors. There seems to be a lot of good deals right now.