I need games suggestions for class!!!

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited December 2008 in Gaming
Hey guys,

I'm working on a project for one of my classes on teaching writing. I'm doing this project on how games can be practically used in the classroom to enhance and cause learning. This is because it's obvious that video games are far more interesting to students than reading the Great Gatsby, for example. (Or the Awakening ;) )

I have some great examples from articles on ways to use games in the classroom- One of them was having students play SimCity to give them an idea of how local government works, and then they had to compare and contrast the way SimCity works, and the way a real city would work.

Another good example is from a college class that played the game World of Warcraft. The teacher had them play this game, and then they had to do a great deal of writing about it-writing strategy guides, writing proposals to blizzard for changes to the game, and so on. The main reason this was good was because it allowed students to get almost immediate feedback from the WoW community, and it situated learning in an environment where the students could see their suggestions in action. The students ended up doing a great deal of writing during the course, and they got to have fun doing it, too. (Which I think should be the core goal of any classroom).

I have these good examples, but I'd like to make a unit plan that I could personally use in a classroom- meaning I need to find a game that I could adapt to a class that I would be teaching next year. That's why I need your help. Here are my specifications.

It needs to be:
-Free, or relatively cheap (Or from a super generous company looking for good PR :D)
-It needs to be about something literary- perhaps it has a lot of writing in it, or it's about a story in history or a book- OR- It's something like the game WoW, where the students can do writing and get a lot of immediate feedback
-It needs to be something that can be completed or mostly completed in about a month, from one period a day of 45 minutes, five days a week. (Some of this time will also have to be devoted to actually writing, and other logistical things- assemblies, testing days, etc. Unfortunately, teachers get a lot less time with students than it seems like)
-It needs to be school appropriate (Meaning it can't be Grand Theft Auto 4 ;) )
-It needs to be something that can be run on an average computer
-It needs to either be a not online game, or it needs to be a safe online community. My ideas will fail if a student ends up getting sexually harassed or something, though the entire project would probably need a disclaimer.

I know that all of those stipulations seem rather steep, and I could probably be flexible if I needed to. Right now, actually, the best idea actually seems like it might be WoW, since you can get the base game for fairly cheap (We don't need the expansions), though then you have to also pay for a month, right? I'm used to Everquest 2, which whenever you buy the game or an expansion you get a free month.) Beyond that, it's something some of the students will probably already play, and it has a large community to get feedback from. My main concern with WoW is the fact that it, and the communities around it, are on the web, where my students could get harassed.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can give (if you've managed to read through all the crap I just wrote). ;D

(Give me suggestions I give you dickerdoodles? ehhh?)

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    You could always try Second Life, but that's been done loads of times before. I'll keep thinking.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Also, flying penis invasion.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Total War... It can tie in with history and military tactics. History Channel uses Total War's game engine to show how armies fought...
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited December 2008
    Well there are a lot of 2D side scrollers that contain copious amounts of writing but it would be nice to know what kind of class this is for:
    Second year english?
    First year business?
    http://maplestory.nexon.net/Intro/ (<-- very active and popular game)
    http://www.runescape.com/ (<-- a friend's personal fav)
    http://www.habbo.com/ (<-- lol I know but you never know)
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I can do it on any english class I want. It would probably be your basic high school English class, let's say sophomores. The class mix would be diverse. Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! (Except F*** you Snark)
    edited December 2008
    I can do it on any english class I want. It would probably be your basic high school English class, let's say sophomores. The class mix would be diverse. Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! (Except F*** you Snark)

I was merely alerting you to one of the possible problems of using Second Life. You don't remember the fiasco?
    edited December 2008
    ...No? Though I know that second life probably has the most problems of any game in terms of exposure to graphic material for students. I probably wouldn't use SL in a classroom without a private server supporting it.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I would suggest Civilization III. There is already a huge community of Educators who use this program. It's also really cheap.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    300: The Video Game
    edited December 2008
    Here you go! Flying wangs!

(I really WAS kind of trying to be helpful :()
  • edited December 2008
    This may not be at all helpful, but I have to say that I've always been fascinated by Sierra's 'The Black Cauldron' Adventure Game, which was exclusively a 16-bit Apple II series and IBM PC product as far as I know. What made it so memorable was that it was completely based on the book/Disney movie (and could be "won" by following that story line), yet it also allowed for all manner of twists and alternate explorations of the circumstances in that world - rather advanced for an adventure game in 1986 - coming from the same camp that launched the King's Quest series. Those three 5 ¼" diskettes seem to hold infinite variations of play (even now in 2008!) rendering the Sierra 'hint book' superfluous and humbling the text parser.

Also, Greg Malone's 'Moebius' and 'Windwalker' games were extraordinary, but I'm not gonna say anything else...I'm just going to play a few more rounds of Brøderbund's 'Airheart'...:rockon:
    edited December 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Here you go! Flying wangs!

(I really WAS kind of trying to be helpful :()

Alrighty then, I retract my previous statement.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2008
    What about something like the Monkey Island video games. They are almost all word and puzzle based.
  • CaffranCaffran Kansas City Member
    edited December 2008
    Portal is a really good at using physics in the game. There is also Crayon Physics that is a lot of fun.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I second the Total War series. I did a presentation for my world lit class in college about .... man I can't remember. Actually I think it was the Iliad. Pretty sure that was it. Anyways, I set up a battle in Rome Total War to sort of visualize a battle Achillies was in. Played it on the project as we presented things. It was epic.

But the game does involve a LOT of history (thought not necessarily historically accurate) and quite a bit of reading and strategics. It's without question the first game I'd think of when it comes to learning-appropriate.

Portal is another good one, but teaches a very different thing.

Again, Civ III is good for teaching colonization, diplomacy, foreign affairs and the like.

Half-Life 2 Havoc is a great free mod that two students made for a class project to teach physics and interactivity in a game environment

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_Havoc_Physics_Mod;89171

Thought not as 'fun' most might say, WWII flight sims do a GREAT job of teaching 40's era history. Especially ones that have a campaign that detail the progression of the war and the technology being used. IL2 Sturmovik and B17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    L4D = TEAMWORK!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2008
  • CaffranCaffran Kansas City Member
    edited December 2008
    shwaip wrote:

That is a really fun game.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I learned everything I know about Geography from Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiego
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited December 2008
    CB wrote:
    and Carmen Sandiego

Haha! So true. But srsly, where the hell was she? >_> <_<
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    The game show was the best...
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    shwaip wrote:

I was thinking the same thing