ATI 800XT AIW AGP cooling upgrade solutions

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited December 2008 in Hardware
I have the above mentioned card, and I'm sick of the clickidy sounding fan, which is louder than a stock cpu fan and is the loudest thing in my system, and that's even when the gpu is idle. My only concern is that I don't think the card was compatible with many, if any aftermarket heatsinks. Can anyone confirm this, or suggest a decent QUIET solution? *removed due to unfunniness*

I was starting to look at Zalman's copper/aluminum cooler for weight, added cooling, and quietness.

Comments

• KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited December 2008
    I don't get the H20 comment.

I suggest you measure the holes on the video card. To do this, take out the video card and remove the stock cooler. Then measure the holes that the cooler attaches to. What you want is a distance in mm between the centers of the two (or more) holes. It's easiest to just pick an edge and measure across one of the holes, if that makes sense.

Once you know this measurement it should be no trouble to find a cooler for sale somewhere that matches the hole distance, or is at least compatible with a hold-down mechanism. You may need to use some miniature RAMsinks or something for the BGAs and MOSFETs and just get a chipset cooler for the GPU, as I think you are correct in stating that no aftermarket all-in-one coolers were produced for the AIW's that are that old.

You might try looking for this measurement online before you take it yourself. Also, if you find a cooler that attaches to at least two holes, that is usually sufficient for a GPU/chipset cooler even if the video card has four holes. Obviously more attachment points are more secure and can provide better core contact, but two will do.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    This will work for your card - The Thermalright HR-03 Rev.A

The Coolink GFXChilla will also work, as will the Arctic Cooling Accelero S2. The Accelero is a hell of a deal.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited December 2008
    alright, i was looking at the zalman vf900 and I believe it is compatible. anyone have anything to say about this one? In other words, should I avoid it or choose something else for any reason?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I believe the Accelero is a better performer and cheaper. If you've got room, get it and slap a nice 120mm fan on it. The Zalman at full tilt is over 40dB, while a good 120mm fan should be significantly quieter than that.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited December 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    I believe the Accelero is a better performer and cheaper. If you've got room, get it and slap a nice 120mm fan on it. The Zalman at full tilt is over 40dB, while a good 120mm fan should be significantly quieter than that.

I'll check it out. I've definitely got room. My board only has agp and pci slots, so space isn't an issue. Weight could be an issue for me, though. I like things solid and strong, not borderline be careful.