USB Flashdrives Access Denied

Randal-ThorRandal-Thor Australia
edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hey.

Recently, like in the last week or so, I have discovered that if I stick a USB flashdrive into my computer, on any USB drive, I am unable to access the flashdrive as an error message appears, saying "F:/ is not accessible. Access is denied". I have tried multiple flashdrives and they all produce the same response. Yet they work fine on other computers.

I can still use a keyboard, mouse and printer; its just flashdrives that don't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?:confused:

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2008
    Was it working previously to that? I've seen this before after installing a USB printer for whatever reason it screws up the usb drive association and it can't be found. To get around that I've had to uninstall the printer and do a couple reboots to get it to recognize the drive.

One other thing worth checking, if you have a digital camera plug that in and see if it mounts the camera drive and if you can read it.
  • Randal-ThorRandal-Thor Australia
    edited December 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    Was it working previously to that? I've seen this before after installing a USB printer for whatever reason it screws up the usb drive association and it can't be found. To get around that I've had to uninstall the printer and do a couple reboots to get it to recognize the drive.

One other thing worth checking, if you have a digital camera plug that in and see if it mounts the camera drive and if you can read it.

Hey.

Yeah it was working about a week ago. I haven't installed any new hardware or printers; I leave my printer plugged in.

I have tried the camera, and my phone, and they don't work either. It appears to be any mass storage device I plug in doesn't work. On a separate note, my computer won't read DVDs or CDs anymore either. And both these errors occurred around the same time.

The problem is, I can't back up my data, so I need to find a solution fast.

I'm stumped for ideas. I've tried changing permissions, formatting the devices and plugging the devices into other computers (which work). Is it possible perhaps I have a corrupt driver, or maybe the registry has become corrupt?
    edited December 2008
    As far as your optical drives not working, have you tried booting up with a bootable cd to see if it's your hardware or your OS.

When your flash drive isn't plugged in is it still showing an F:\drive as an option?
    edited December 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    As far as your optical drives not working, have you tried booting up with a bootable cd to see if it's your hardware or your OS.

When your flash drive isn't plugged in is it still showing an F:\drive as an option?

I haven't tried booting a CD because the CD drive refuses to read any disks at all.

When my Flashdrive isn't plugged in, F:\Drive isn't an option. Also, I am able to access the flashdrive in Safe Mode.

So I am puzzled.:confused2
    edited December 2008
    Try booting from a cd. If your hardware is fine it'll boot. If it then gets into windows and can't read it then it's a driver issue.

Have you got daemon tools or some other form of virtual cd drive software installed? It could be conflicting.
    edited December 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    Try booting from a cd. If your hardware is fine it'll boot. If it then gets into windows and can't read it then it's a driver issue.

Have you got daemon tools or some other form of virtual cd drive software installed? It could be conflicting.

Hey.

I had my computer technician take a look at my computer yesterday, and he managed to fix it after 12 hours of hard work, as apparently half my system files had been deleted by the manufacturer's own program (ACER). So now (thank goodness!) I can use my CD drive again.

Thanks for all of your help.:)