Computer Freezes For A Few Secs, Then Resumes Normal Activity

edited December 2008 in Hardware
This never happened before until recently, I'm not sure how long ago, but my computer has been freezing up for a few secs, then it resumes normal activity. I sort of didn't mind the freezing at first since it wasn't repetetive nor was it all the time. What I do mind is the fact that it tends to happen when I'm trying to, for example, listen to music on rhapsody, napster, open "any" folder, file, play a game, etc...

I thought it was due to some sort of software/virus... that it was making it freeze every once in a while, so I reformatted the hard drive and re-installed everything, it was working fine for about 2 hours or so and then... there it goes again... froze up about 5 to 6 seconds...

It's a few years old, I don't think it might be any software, might be something else, like the hard drive goin out, but I don't know so I just figured I'd ask to see if I can do anything about this...
If so, what can I do? Replace any parts?
If no, should I just invest in another computer?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2008
    First things to check.

Go to windows explorer right click on your harddrive, go into properties and on the first tab remove the indexing checkmark, then apply it to all as the prompts start coming up.

Once that's done, from that same screen go into the tools tab and run the Error-Checking with autofix and sector recovery checked.

Then once thats done (and it'll take awhile) from that same tab do a defragment even if it says it's not needed.

If you have more then one drive do that on each drive.

Next once that's all done get a copy of memtest if you don't have it and run it. Now you can just get memtest and make a bootable cd out of it. However I'd instead suggest getting a copy of the newest ubuntu live edition. First as one of the boot options it has memtest. But more importantly if after you've cleaned the harddrives and memtest has passed if the problem is still happening we need to seperate hardware issues from software issues.

Best way to do that is to boot up ubuntu from the live cd and use it for awhile and see if it's still freezing. If it is, then you've got hardware issues. If it's not then you've likely got either a) a virus again or b) driver issues.