New Raid Controller causes MORE cpu usage!

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hello everyone!

New to this forum. I have been searching trying to find a forum on Raid, and well, here I am.

If anyone has had this issue before and know a fix, I would really appreciate it.

Here is my problem, I just purchased a Areca ARC-1210 hardware raid controller card, and I noticed that my speed is much, much faster then my built in raid on my evga 780i motherboard. Games load quicker, boots quicker, everything is really fast but now my cpu usuage goes up about 40-60% on heavy data transfers. I thought one of the benifits of having a hardware raid card is that it has its own cpu thus off loading I/O cycles from the cpu to the card. And this card does, it has the Intel IOP331 cpu with 256mb or ram.

I dont think my cpu is the bottleneck, I have a E8400, and no matter if I run it at 3.0 Ghz, or 4 Ghz, it still eats up a lot of cpu cycles during defraging, or heavy data transfers.

If anyone has ran into this, I would be very greatfull if you could share your experience. Thank you!

My specs if you need them:

evga 780i, [EMAIL="e8400@3.8"]e8400@3.8[/EMAIL] dual WD VelociRaptor 300GB raid 0, dual wd 750gb, raid 1, Areca arc-1210 raid controller, 8gb corsair dominator 1066, dual evga gtx 280's sli, creative x-fi, thermaltake 1000w modular psu, vista x64 ultimate.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    without doing any research whatsoever, just using my years of experience with RAID, I'd say it could be crappy drivers.

I could be talking out my ass here. I'll wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along.

Welcome to Icrontic :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Areca cards are phenomenal products powering some of today's fastest single-machine RAID arrays. I don't have any immediate answers, but I'm going to look into it.