Sound Issue

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hello. This issue is further to the one I have in the Software section. I'm thinking now that it might be a hardware issue. After googling around I've come to the conclusion that what I have is quite a common problem. None of the solutions people have tried have worked with me. This has included a bit of tinkering with the registry. May be this has now done more halm than good! Let me start by saying that I formatted my hard drive a month ago. I've installed what I believe to be all the necessary drivers and plug ins. Here's the issue - I've got sound when I play songs through WMP and Itunes. However I have no sound in anything internet related, ie Youtube. I also noticed this week that I haven't got the Windows sounds when you log on and log off. Before the reformatt all the sounds were working perfectly fine. My motherboard is MS 6373 and I've installed the flash player plug in. I think previous to this I downloaded the wrong motherboard drivers. Could this cause a problem. Another thing I've also noticed - When I open up my equaliser the bars are moving as if there is sound playing except there isn't. I'm hoping the solution is simple but fear I may be in this for the long haul. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm on the verge of tearing my hear out. Thank you.

Comments

• edited December 2008
    I realize I'm not helping here, but, iirc not even the great Leo Laporte could solve this problem (The Lab). =/ Good luck.
  • edited December 2008
    I realize I'm not helping here, but, iirc not even the great Leo Laporte could solve this problem (The Lab). =/ Good luck.
    OK, not a great start but thanks!:confused:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    It really, really sounds like your system is crapped up and confused like crazy with a laundry list of bad drivers.
  • edited December 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    It really, really sounds like your system is crapped up and confused like crazy with a laundry list of bad drivers.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head! I'll format C.
    edited December 2008
    When you're done, we'll make sure we get only exactly the right driver for your audio card and see if that works. :)
  • edited December 2008
    So I've formatted C and downloaded the drivers from here and still nothing.
  • edited December 2008
    I've got sound back but now all everything echoes. Any ideas?
    edited December 2008
    Do you have a Microphone plugged in? If so, mute the microphone. Secondly, make sure to disable ambiance options on like Stadium or Stone Room settings that suck a whole bunch but come with every sound card for some reason.
  • edited December 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Do you have a Microphone plugged in? If so, mute the microphone. Secondly, make sure to disable ambiance options on like Stadium or Stone Room settings that suck a whole bunch but come with every sound card for some reason.
    Microphone is muted. I've reinstalled my drivers and now I've lost Windows sounds again. I have 5.1 surround sound speakers. When I go through the wizard and it asks if I can hear sound through my front speakers it plays sound through the rear speakers. Also when there is nothing playing and with the sound turned up it sounds like there's wind blowing through the speakers.
    edited December 2008
    Are you sure you have your speakers plugged into the right ports? O.o
  • edited December 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Are you sure you have your speakers plugged into the right ports? O.o
    Positive. My speakers or connections haven't changed in over 4 years.
    edited December 2008
    I figured as much, but I had to double-check with the reverse stereo weirdness. Hmmmm.
  • edited December 2008
    If I play a song in WMP it plays fine and there is no echo. However in youtube the echo is very pronounced and there's a slight hiss from the 2 front speakers.
  • edited December 2008
    Would the purchase of a new sound card help?
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, easily. I suspect it's a hardware issue at this point.
  • edited December 2008
    The good news is I've got all my sound back by installing a new sound card. The problem is now every time I turn the PC on I get the Found new hardware wizard. All the drivers are installed so is there a way I can disable that?
    edited December 2008
    You'll have to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard audio. :)