sound doesn't work

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Ok. My dad reformatted his computer, and didn't take note of the model number on his mobo, or the audio card built in on his computer. After he reformatted the computer, he noticed that the speakers didn't work, and that he didn't have the drivers cd. Is there anything he could do to download the driver so that his sound could start working? I already downloaded the video card by opening dxdiag, but it doesn't say what the audio card is. I'd appreciate any help.:)

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    If you open the case, you should be able to figure out what motherboard he has fairly easily. Then it's just a matter of downloading the drivers and installing them. You could also try using clues from dxdiag to figure out what motherboard you have.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Hey Bob39,

Is this a custom built PC or a major manufacturer?

Custom... With the PC powered off and unplugged, open the PC up and look on the board probably near the video car/ memory/ CPU area for a Model and manufacturer.

Major Manufacturer
    ... Provide the model name and number and the serial number (or service tag).
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks for your quick replies. Its a custom built PC, so ill check for the model number and manufacturer next time i go to my dad's house. I planning to go there tomorrow, so ill try to install the drivers according to the motherboard if i could find the info. Ill keep you posted. thanks
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks for all yout help. I figured out that my dad had the MSI 865PE NEo2, and was able to install the proper audio driver. Im sorry for the late reply.

THanks
    Bob39