Android fans?

ChipChip Dallas Member
edited December 2008 in Science & Tech
Just curious if any of ya'll have a TMobile Android cellphone?
I've got a Sprint Touch (HTC Vogue) which normally runs WinMo 6.1. I've WinMO dialed in and streamlined about as much as possible. It's actually fairly decent.

However, some programmer recently ported Android (Google's cellphone OS) to the Touch. The great thing is, it's sort of dual boot so you don't have to destroy WinMo to use it. You just throw on the Android boot files on the SD card and launch.

I'm pretty impressed with Android. WinMo isn't as smooth as I'd hoped. You also have weird pauses every now and then. Windows Mobile users, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Android on the other hand is lightweight Linux and silky smooth. Unfortunately this Android port to the Sprint Touch is limited (Bluetooth doesn't work, contacts are blank, doesn't integrate with ActivSync)

If you have a Sprint Touch cellphone you've got to give it a try. There's no risk.

Comments

• KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited December 2008
    I'm a fan of Android because it is an open project and it's built on tried and true platforms (Linux, Java). I haven't used it yet or done any Android development.

Does anybody have the TMobile G1 here? I'm thinking of getting one to develop with/for, and the screen is borked on my current phone anyway.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Roommate has one. I haven't played with it all that much, but I have played with the touchscreen and the bar-code reading app. It's pretty cool, but I don't think I'd get one (or a blackberry or an iphone) because i don't really need one right now.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited December 2008
    Cool, cool. How's the build quality? I'm not too worried about the software... It's open source, so it'll be endlessly customizable and bugs will get fixed in short order.

What I am worried about is the quality of the actual phone hardware. In pictures it has a sort of cheap appearance. Not sure why, but I just get that sense from looking at it.

Why do I feel like I've already asked these questions? I have wicked deja vu at the moment.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    It's heavy. that's about all i can say about it.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I have the T-Mobile G1 and I love it. This is the most functional phone I have ever used. The seamless integration with gmail and my google contacts is amazing. The location based apps that have come out are actually very useful, like Locale for example. Locale sets your phones preferences, like ringer and background, based on your location. This means while you are at work your phone can be on silent or low ringer and while you are anywhere else it can be on loud.

The build quality is higher than I was expecting from the first pictures I saw online. It feels solid and the screen slider makes a solid thud when you slide it open. The keyboard feels just right to me, well spaced and easy to type with.

The only part of the phone that I was a little disapointed with is the camera, not do to the quality of the pictures, but do to the refresh rate of the screen while trying to take a picture. It would be a challenge to catch the "it" moment with this camera.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    How's battery life, Zanth?

That Locale business sounds pretty freakin' swank. I've been looking for a free WinMo app that will set my ringer volume based on scheduled times, and I can't even find that.
    edited December 2008
    The battery life is pretty decent, I can make it through the whole day on a charge. I just plug it in every night and I am good to go.

The locale app can also change your ringer based on a time schedule too, if you don't want to have your gps on. A good option for battery life.

Oh yeah, the youtube app is fun when I have wifi access. I can't wait for them to get flash on the android platform so i can goto hulu on my phone. It is rumored for '09.
    edited December 2008
    Some New Google Apps today:

My Maps Editor
    http://androidcommunity.com/my-maps-editor-by-google-puts-your-custom-maps-in-your-pocket-20081215/

Google’s Scoreboard App is a Winner
    http://androidguys.com/?p=3119

Also a nice little hack to download youtube videos directly to your sd card on the G1:
    http://androidguys.com/?p=3127