Help reinstalling video drivers and DirectX so I can play TF2

AirCanuckAirCanuck London, Ontario New
edited December 2008 in Hardware
well, those of you who know me know that my computer has been, at the least, unkind to me as of late.

After my 4th reformatting, (yesterday), I of course immediately went to reinstall my beloved steam games.

Much to my horror and chagrin, Insurgency flat-out won't launch, and TF2 Launches in a miniature window (about the size of the length of a steam conversation window squared) and then crashes after going through the steam and TF2 intro screens.

WTF DO I DO? I'm finally done exams and want to start joining the IC mayhem again. Someone please help if you can, I've tried to search the troubleshooting sections of Steam but they suck balls. I just deleted the game content and am re-downloading TF2.

side note, when trying to download these, it keeps saying that steam is too busy to process my request, but then it downloads anyway (albeit at a slower rate than usual).

cheers and thanks
AirCanuck

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Are you sure your computer is 100% alright? Tested memory and hard drive lately?
  • AirCanuckAirCanuck London, Ontario New
    edited December 2008
    yeah ran a hard drive test yesterday before reformatting.
    edited December 2008
    well, TF2 has reinstalled and has the same problem. Boots in a small window, then crashes after showing the valve head and the TF2 screen (the ones you can usually hit esc. to skip). If you try to hit esc, it crashes. If you let it run through, it crashes before getting to the main screen.
    FTW!
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Video drivers?

Sounds like what my laptop does though I know it cant handle TF2, never could :(

-Bobby
    edited December 2008
    Yeah at this point, run drivercleaner, reinstall your video drivers with the latest, and reinstall directX
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I'd say video drivers too.
    edited December 2008
    Prime, I'm so pathetic. I don't know how to do any of that.
    *EDIT aside from direct x of course
    edited December 2008
    Alright, then let's rename this thread and bump it for you.

Step 1: What kind of video card do you have?
    edited December 2008
    rename? Damn you! (and by that, I drunkenly mean thank you). I will let you knwom (aka know) tomorrow, because I'm too bombed. Cheers, and thanks
    AirCanuck
    edited December 2008
    ok. problem solved. While I was passed out, my computer automatically installed the latest drivers for my video card. I foggily remember hitting 'ok' and 'next' once or twice, and now we're good to go.

sweet.