Issue with SATA2 Drive--partitions not showing up

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hi,

I am wondering if someone can help me with this issue.
I had a desktop with ASUS P5GC-MX/133 motherboard installed with two physical hard drives - 1 IDE and 1 SATA2. A year ago I installed window XP SP2 on the IDE hard drive and used SATA2 as storage (not RAID). When I installed the window XP, I did not press F6 to load 3rd party drivers. And I used Device Manager to format the SATA2 drive and partitioned it into 4 partitions.

Last week, there was something wrong with the OS so I reinstalled window XP. However, after reinstalling the OS, the BIOS and window's device manager can detect the 320 GB SATA2 hard drive (but the drive did not show up in My Computer). However, instead of showing the 4 partitions where I have saved important data, it said that the hard drive is not ready.

Can anyone teach me how to get the partitions out and shown in My Computer?

Help is greatly appreciated!.

Eva

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Open the Disk Management Snapin (Right click My Computer > Manage > then Disk management about 1/2 way down left hand pane of new Window)

You should see the drive there (Disk 1 perhaps) you need to "enable/bring it in" to the new Windows install. Make sure you do not format it or you will lose the data.

You should be able to right click on the "Disk1" and choose import or something to that effect. I cannot remember the exact wording it uses. See my screenshot for where I am talking about (attached to this post). Your pop up will show different than mine, since you need to import the disk.
  • edited December 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Open the Disk Management Snapin (Right click My Computer > Manage > then Disk management about 1/2 way down left hand pane of new Window)

You should see the drive there (Disk 1 perhaps) you need to "enable/bring it in" to the new Windows install. Make sure you do not format it or you will lose the data.

You should be able to right click on the "Disk1" and choose import or something to that effect. I cannot remember the exact wording it uses. See my screenshot for where I am talking about (attached to this post). Your pop up will show different than mine, since you need to import the disk.

Hi RyderOCZ:

Thanks a lot for replying. Actually, when I right clicked on the SATA disk, the menu is exactly the same as the image you attached. I didn't get a choice of importing or enabling. Do you know what might have happened?

Thanks!

Eva
    edited December 2008
    Are you sure you are selecting the sata drive? Not the IDE?

Did you right click on the Gray box, where it actually says "Disk1 or Disk2", etc?

The term I was thinking of is "Import Foreign Disk"
  • edited December 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Are you sure you are selecting the sata drive? Not the IDE?

Did you right click on the Gray box, where it actually says "Disk1 or Disk2", etc?

The term I was thinking of is "Import Foreign Disk"

Hi RyderOcz:

Yes. It says Disk1. When I right clicked on it, it shows 'convert to dynamic drive'.

Eva
    edited December 2008
    Are you sure that you did not format it during the install?

It would appear there are no partitions on it if you do not see any over to the right in that SnapIn.

Can you take a screenshot (prntscrn or shift+prntscrn, then paste into Paint) of what you do have?
  • edited December 2008
    Hi RyderOCZ:

Yes, I didn't format it during the install.

I checked the HDD property and click the last tab for details.

Here is what I have for hardware identity:

IDE\DiskHitachi_HDxxxx
    IDE\Hitachi_HDxxx
    IDE\DiskHitachi_HDxxxx
    Hitachi_HDxxxx
    GenDisk

Is it normal? Shouldn't it say SATA instead of IDE? If yes, how do I let the system know it is SATA.

Thank you.

Eva<!-- / message -->
    edited December 2008
    Windows will call a SATA drive IDE because the SATA controller is emulating an IDE controller for Windows.

That is not causing your issue.

Can you get me the screenshot of Disk management?