Microtransactions - valuable service, or nickel-and-diming?

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited December 2008 in Gaming

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I absolutely loathe microtransactions.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I think microtransactions are the economy of the enlightened.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    But do you agree that they're necessary, Thrax?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    To a certain extent, yes, but it seems that they've been so mercilessly abused that there are few positive examples. It makes me wonder if they'll ever get it right.
  • edited December 2008
    Sadly, the microtransaction concept has gotten a bad wrap over the years. There are always those that will abuse the system, and as pointed out, will nickel and dime players.

On the other hand, there are simply players that would rather fork over a buck or two here and there for cosmetic upgrades, double xp for a limited time, etc. At the end of the day, I think it boils down to choice. Some would chose to use microtransactions, others not. It doesn't mean that one is 'better' or has advantages over the other...it's just a matter of personal preferences. And at the end of the day, wouldn't you rather have a choice than no choice at all?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I think part of the stigma behind microtransactions is some people feel penalized for not being affluent enough to afford spending <i>more</i> money on a game they've purchased.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I want my video games paid for though product placements.