What PSU to get after chrismas, need it to be future proof.

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hi, I intend to upgrade my PSU after chrismas to take advantage of the january sales and save some money. I want somthing that will be reliable, quiet and stable. Also somthing that has enough extra juice to last me years of upgrading before I need to think about the PSU again.
I had my eyes on this Coolermaster 1000W modular PSU. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129034
Its made by Coolermaster so it should be good, my friend Liam got the 850W version but they don't sell them on ebuyer anymore.
£120 is kinda my max amount. I originally wanted to spend £80 on the Corsair HX620W but now its nearly £100 I though I may aswell spend the extra £20 and get a 1000W
Would the 1000W last atleast 5 years without exploding? I would clean it ie blow out dust every 3 months of so.
I cant afford to get the Corsair HX1000W as that is just too expensive.

Basically, is that Coolermaster PSU good and will it future proof me?

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2008
    Hey Revo,
    I cant read the future but personally I dont see that the draw on PSUs will go up a great deal over the next 5 years. My old Pentium 75 system ran on a 300W and 500W is still adequete for most rigs unless you are running crossfire with 8 HDs two optical drives and all the trimmings. I would say that the Corsair will last you for many years in terms of power consumption

Have a look at this and see what you think
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-011-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084&name=Corsair%20TX%20750W%20ATX2.2%20SLI%20Compliant%20PSU
    750W and it will be solid as a rock! Many of the OCers use corsair. OCZ are suppose to be pretty good too.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited December 2008
    I am a cable management freak so it HAS to be modular. I cant stand cables bunched up at the bottom. :(
    Well, I will be getting another harddrive. I will be upgrading to Core I7 next year hopefully and I will have a 4870 1GB (getting it in January along with the PSU).
    I will be overclocking aswell
    In 3 years or so I imagine i will have crossfire aswell.
    I know this sounds very ambitious but i just want to be prepared. You know, spend spend a bit more now and not have to spend money on a new PSU in a few years.
    Would the coolermaster last 10 years, to be extereme?

PS. Yes I LOVE Corsair PSUs but the modular ones are too expensive for the power they give.