failed to burn DVDs

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hi my name's Uniki Que but please call me Unique :fold:,

I have been trying to burn Dvds using Nero 7 (thats the only version I have)
but after I reinstalled xp, i could never burn stuff onto disks (execpt Rewritable ones). I keep getting an error msg saying that power calibration error and I don't know what it means.. Before I reinstalled my pc i could burn disks without a problem using dvd+r, but now that i have bought a whole pack of dvd-r disks i cant use them except for the very first one.. whats wrong?? Not only i tried Nero but i also tried using imgburn but same error msg came up...Can anyone help me~~~

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    What kind of discs are you using?
  • edited December 2008
    I'm using sony corporation drd-r 16x disks
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2008
    Try burning them at 1x speed, just to see if they work.
  • edited December 2008
    I tried and still it doesnt work, it always stops at when its writing the leadIn
    edited December 2008
    Have you flash the firmware for the device?
  • edited December 2008
    What? what do you mean flash the firmware for the device?
  • edited December 2008
    Today I bought a pack of DVD+R disks and they work perfectly... but I don't get it, why doesn't the DVD-R work... and whats the difference between them two??...
    edited December 2008
    there is a technical reason why they are different, but all that matters is that they are different. Though typically it's usually been a case of players been picky towards reading + or - and less so of burners, burning to them. That being said though some burners do prefer some brands over others. For example I've had no issues with maxell dvd-r's but very bad luck with memorex dvd-r's.

One other thing is your dvd burner +/- R capable? I have never seen any that aren't but it's possible that there may be some that exist. It should say on the tray something like DVD +/-R/W
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    What? what do you mean flash the firmware for the device?

Sometimes manufacturers release software updates for the ROM chips (firmware) in some devices. Downloading and installing that update is known as 'flashing the firmware'. It's a different process from updating software because those chips are normally inaccessible to the end-user.

Thrax wants to know if you have checked the manufacturer's website for a firmware update recently.
    edited December 2008
    Well, I see that you've not, and that's no big deal. Do you know exactly what DVD burner you have? I suspect we can fix this.
  • edited December 2008
    I'm not quite sure what type it i because my mums friend bought it, he just said it was a all-in-one burner, it has four icons on the front:
    1. DVD multi recorder
    2. RW DVD+R DL
    3. RW DVD+R Rewritable
    4. Compact Disk rewritable ultra speed
    edited December 2008
    Well there you go it only supports DVD+R if it supported -r it's have +/- on it.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited December 2008
    Wow, a + only writer. I always assumed 95% of newer DVD drives could do both. Valuable lesson learned here, pay extra attention to DVD drive specs.
    edited December 2008
    I'm thinking it's not a newer one.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited December 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    I'm thinking it's not a newer one.

Sorry, the way he wrote it:
    I'm not quite sure what type it i because my mums friend bought it

Made me think as if he did but I am sure you are probably right. Something to look out for regardless though I believe.