PQMagic 8 and NTFS

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I went up to my parents yesterday to do some handyman stuff, and while there tried to use PQMagic 8 to copy my dads existing partitions onto his new 160GB (8MB cache) Maxtor. PQMagic wouldn't let me do it - kept saying there was error 1513. A check of PowerQuest's web site

http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id963.cfm

didn't give much info, only to run chkdsk (didn't help), and maybe switch to a later version of Partition Magic (What, PQM 8 Pro isn't enough?). They hinted around that it might be a MS issue, saying something about i-nodes being a new feature of the NTFS file system.

Norton Ghost saved the day, and I was able to get everything done, but this left me with a few questions:

1) Is it just me, or has PQM seemed to be a lot pickier with the later versions? I first used the program years ago and, other than having to sometimes run scandisk or Norton Disc Doctor to prepare the drive, it seemed to do the job almost all of the time. Now, it seems to find a reason to tell you to "go screw" more often than not.

2) What are i-nodes? (And why should I care?)

3) The drive/partition I was trying to copy was formatted during the XPhome install. Has anyone else noticed that XP doesn't seem to like partitions created by PQMagic 8? I gave up on doing my drive setup the easy way (PQM) and now just let WinXP bull it's way through the format process.

4) PQMagic offers three flavors of NTFS, one compatible with NT4.0, one with W2K, and a third for XP. Anyone able to explain the basic difference? (A general answer would be fine - I'm too tired to wade through a comprehensive answer!;) )

Prof

PS: If you haven't done so already, please give us your input in the “This Weeks Utilities Discussion” thread under General Software!!! This week we are asking for your recommended programs in these categories: MP3 Player, Defrag, and Registry Cleaner:nudge: