Will my wall hold my new TV?

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited December 2008 in Hardware
I don't know much about walls.

The instruction manual for my TV mounting bracket says that the bracket should be mounted to "floor-to-ceiling wooden studs".

However, the only place we can put the TV, where it would be visible for watching, is above the fireplace on an outside wall.

I know we have wooden studs, but the studs above the fire-place obviously don't run floor-to-ceiling.

Are the studs above my fireplace good enough to mount my 70lb TV (with 15lb bracket) safely?

I've included a photo of the area in case you need to see it. Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    If they built the fireplace correctly, not a problem.

There will be a double 2x6 or larger header above the fireplace since it is an outside wall.

I do not think you will have any issues CB, I would put it there in my own house as well.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Seems like its holding ok...
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2008
    What about the heat from the fire if you ever have a fire in the fireplace, and its a roaring fire? Will that hurt the TV? (seems in my parent's fireplace, the best they can get is smoldering wood, or a tiny little fire. Its a Rexar corner fireplace in a doublewide with the blower in it).
    edited December 2008
    We've turned on our fireplace exactly three times in the almost three years that we have owned the house and found that while the underside of the mantle got warm above the mantle did not. We had our old TV on the mantle before mounting the new one. No roaring fires just "mood" setting fires ... its a gas insert
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    As ryder said If the fireplace and outside Walls had the fur strips installed correctly its no problem at all!

Looks like time for some cable management!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I did the cable management tonight. It looks much better.
    edited December 2008
    Managed Cables!