E-mail sent to my address book

edited January 2009 in Internet & Media
Hello

An e-mail has been sent to everyone in my address book that i didn't send. I've sent them all another e-mail saying don't open it.

But do i need to worry about this? And would it mean problem with the computer or e-mail account or both or should i just forget about it?

Thank-you for any help you give me, you were great last time. Appreciated

p.s its a hotmail acount

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    It could very well be a virus on your computer.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Are you running an Antivirus program on your computer? If so, is it up to date?
  • edited December 2008
    So is there anything in particular i should do? I just ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it found nothing. I'm in the middle of running "superanti spyware". So far its found 1 Adware.Tracking Cookie.
  • edited December 2008
    Apart from "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" and "superanti spyware", I have "spybot search & destroy" and "spyware blaster"
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Spyware generally will not do this.. scan with an AntiVirus program with up to date definitions.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    You need to also install a Anti-virus application.

I would try Avast. It's free and usually does a pretty good job with catching stuff.

Install Avast, update it, and run a full system scan.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2008
    Do these messages show up in your sent items? It could also be that someone has hacked your hotmail account.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2009
    Download Hijack This and post the log file over in the spyware removal section. If you ask nicely they should be able to tell you if you have anything to worry about.:wink: Do you know what the email content was?
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I would take a look at the contents of the email that was sent out. If the email looks like a scam or advertisement, then it's either a virus or hacked account. If its not, you may have left your account logged in where someone may have used it?