have I done the right thing?

RichDRichD Essex, UK
edited January 2009 in Hardware
I have an Iomega 120GB External Firewire Disk which like a clumsy fool I dropped a week or so ago! I thought it was OK as when I plugged it in it seemed to work. Earlier this week I got a repeating BSOD at boot. I had been tinkering with some hard disk settings and trying a few system tweeks so I thought it was that. I managed to boot from My Vista CD and use system restore and that seemed to solve the problem. I think during the process I unplugged my HD which is probably why it started working. The system restore probably had nothing to do with it. So this evening I plugged it back in and the PC just hung When I rebooted I got the BSOD again.

I couldn't get into windows with the HD plugged in so I opened up the case, took out the HD and plugged it in internally via the IDE cable and ran check disk and booted up. I then scheduled a full checkdisk on reboot and let that run through. I have re mounted the HD in the External case and it seems to be OK.

Is this likely to have fixed the problem? Should I consider reformatting the disk? Or should I just wait and see?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I would wait and see. Or test the disk's physical integrity with Seatools or DFT.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    dft was what i was gonna recommend
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2009
    OK... so I got bsod again today. I tried to run DFT but when I boot it just comes up with starting DOS... and hangs. I think the drive is stuffed. Time to get a new one I think!
    edited January 2009
    DFT can be fussy on various chipsets and drives, try Seagate's SeaTools one time before you write 'er off.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2009
    I have downloaded and installed seatools. However I have been unable to scan the HD as the PC hangs as soon as I plug it in and I get BSOD if I try to boot with it. I have repeated my earlier process of removing the drive from is case and mounting it internaly.

The PC does as it did before and tries to scan on restart but just hangs. It does say that the master file table is corrupt ( I think that is what it said, it def wasn't the MBR anyway) I can still skip the scan and boot to windows. I decided that as I am only using this disk for backup I would re-create the logical drive and reformat. I left it reformatting and when I came back five mins later to check on it the thing had shut down!

I have given up for tonight and will resume tomorrow. I am assuming that seatools requires an active partition to scan? Incidently when I first tried to run seatools the initial HD detection failed to find either of my sata drives? It could tell me all about my primary boot drive which is hosted on one of these sata drives but couldn't find the drive to scan. Presumably it takes the volume info from windows system info?

Also as my rig was a mess I decided to do a bit of cable management. See my other thread for pics.
    edited January 2009
    There should be a bootable DOS version of Seatools, did you grab that one or the Win32 version? I should have specified earlier.