Taping out new i7 system, wondering power requirements.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited January 2009 in Hardware
Since the i7 is still freshmeat, I'm wondering what kind of power I'll be looking at to run it. I'm pretty sure the wattage, but what kind of amperage should I be looking for?

G-Skill 3x2GB
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Intel i7 920

I plan to stuff about 6-8 hard drives in it, single graphics card. Probably end up keeping my 9800GT. Also looking for a shelf life of 1+ years.

Comments

• KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited January 2009
    Well, considering PSU voltages are fairly fixed... ;)

My Core i7 system is running on an Antec Signature 650W power supply. It's heavily overclocked with a 4870 1GB card in it.

I wouldn't worry about the HDD's too much. They really don't draw much power. Your CPU and video cards are going to be the main draws.

650W should be more than enough. Don't buy into the kilowatt trend... Get a high quality PSU over a high wattage one.

P.S. I have that G.Skill kit (I'm assuming you're looking at the 6GB PiBlack kit) and it is smokin'.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2009
    Voltages...I never said voltage. I said Amperage. I need to know the AMPERAGE, not the wattage.
    edited January 2009
    It was a play, my friend. Wattage = Amperage x Voltage. If the voltage is constant and you know your wattage, then you know your amperage.

That Ohm, he was a funny little guy.

Simple answer: Get a 600-750W PSU that provides most of its amperage on the 12V rails.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    I just pick up power supply boxes and whichever feels the heaviest I buy. This testing method has never let me down.
    edited January 2009
    That's actually a surprisingly reliable method, although sometimes cheap capacitors are heavier than the good ones. o.O