Open Source Evangelism: Instant messaging

2»

Comments

• KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited January 2009
    I just want to point out that I totally inferred that 'steadyflux' was a 'her' and not a 'his'. This bears interest, because it seems that I subconsciously affix Snark's avatar on top of any poster who is unidentified.

But then, who can blame me?
    Tansunn wrote:
    As much as I like Pidgin, I've been experiencing near-daily crashes for months.
    That's interesting Tansunn, and I'm sorry that you've been experiencing trouble with it. If you continue to have problems, my advice is to create an issue in the Pidgin issue tracker. If someone contacts you for additional information, then perhaps you can help to fix a bug. While there may not be anything obvious to report right now, someone might have a debug release for you to run which would produce detailed logs of the crash so that they can diagnose and fix the problem for a future release. Such is software development. It certainly never hurts to report, even if all you've got is a vague description. =]

In the meantime, if Pidgin continues to malfunction then I'd say Digsby and Trillian both offer reasonable alternatives for multi-protocol, free clients.
  • steadyfluxsteadyflux Maryland Member
    edited January 2009
    Khaos wrote:
    I just want to point out that I totally inferred that 'steadyflux' was a 'her' and not a 'his'.

It's cool. I'm a her. I didn't even notice.

Also to address the open vs non-open source I thought that since people had been mentioning their use of Trillian...it wasn't a big deal to recommend a non-FLOSS alternate that was still free.

One more thing and then I will drop it for good. Honestly, I love Pidgin and have been using gaim since the way back days. Also, the plugins are fun ... coin flipping, dice rolling, history in new chat windows .... I especially am a fan of the one that detects incoming messages to you before they are officially sent (Psychic Mode).

"You sense a disturbance in the force..."
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited January 2009
    steadyflux wrote:
    It's cool. I'm a her. I didn't even notice.
    Well, that's convenient. So, sweet tits, you got plans for...?

I kid, but anyway.
    steadyflux wrote:
    Also to address the open vs non-open source I thought that since people had been mentioning their use of Trillian...it wasn't a big deal to recommend a non-FLOSS alternate that was still free.
    That is a discussion I'm trying to encourage, you have it precisely correct. In fact, it is not always about recommending FOSS, but it is always about evangelizing FOSS and trying to bring people to that sometimes bright, sometimes dangerous light.
    steadyflux wrote:
    One more thing and then I will drop it for good. Honestly, I love Pidgin and have been using gaim since the way back days. Also, the plugins are fun ... coin flipping, dice rolling, history in new chat windows ....
    Javol!
    steadyflux wrote:
    "You sense a disturbance in the force..."
    Psychic mode is crazy. I had to turn it off. It ruins the thought-out nature of instant messaging, and the notion that someone else could be peeking my text broadcast during mid sentence formation makes my skin crawl. I type, but do not send, some really horrible, awful things. /me grins. You just have to love the Internet; it brings out the best and worst in people.