Sudden game problems. Oh, and winamp.

edited January 2009 in Hardware
http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80473
The great guys at icrontic who fixed my computers at least 10 times before say its probably not a virus, so I believe it.

My computer started running games really slowly the other day.
From highest possible resolution and graphics working almost perfectly, to 1024 x 768 on medium and lagging.
I noticed it on Fallout 3.

Besides that, my winamp is having problems as well. I don't know how winamp could be a hardware problem but I suppose its possible.
It'll start freezing on startup of it every time until I reinstall, or when I load or try to play certain songs it just dies.

I bought this computer very recently, less than 2 weeks ago.
It should be running everything fine
I have a dual 3.0ghz processor at 3 ghz
2gb of ram
and a Geforce 8800 GTS card
So it should be fine. =/
It was before, afterall.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Is it store-bought or ordered online?
  • edited January 2009
    Store bought from Circuit City.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2009
    Id take it back if you have only had it a couple of weeks.
  • edited January 2009
    Take it back?
    Couldn't they tell me whats wrong and fix it?
    This is some Velocity computer they sold for cheap so if I were to just return it I'd be out a good computer and have to heavily downgrade to get a new one for the same price.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    If it was purchased from a retail store, they won't help you fix it. They can send it out to get looked at under the manufacturer warranty, take it back for another model, or leave it in your hands to troubleshoot yourself.

With a computer this new that's having problems, there are so many things that could be going wrong, it's hard to say.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2009
    plus if you are having problems after a couple of weeks it doesn't bode well
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited January 2009
    What OS?

Some drivers under Vista cause issues with on-board sound and the result is symptoms like you're describing. Severe CPU usage while using DirectSound; which for typical people is most noticeable while listening to music with a media player that outputs using DirectSound (Like Winamp) and when playing games.

First: Have you installed any hardware or updated drivers since you got the PC?

Second: What happens if you go in your Winamp Preferences and, under "Plug-ins -> Output" select "Nullsoft WaveOut Output" instead of "Nullsoft DirectSound Output"???
  • edited January 2009
    Oh damn. That just makes things more complicated.

Hm
    I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit.
    I think I updated my videocard.
    and I installed Service Pack 1, and whatever other updates Vista prompted me to install.

Nothing seems to change if I go from DirectSound to WaveOut either.
    edited January 2009
    bendy wrote:
    Nothing seems to change if I go from DirectSound to WaveOut either.
    Interesting...

I guess I'm fresh out of other ideas that haven't been mentioned, then. Perhaps try rolling back some driver updates with System Restore, as it still very much sounds like a driver issue.
  • edited January 2009
    I would have loved to use System Restore,
    but
    for some reason I had no restore points.
    =/
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2009
    Runs Seatools or Drive Fitness Test. You may have a damaged hard disk which is why it only affects certain files.

I still take it back though. They should just replace it with another one.
    edited January 2009
    Negative, RichD. Drive failures, including partial failures, typically result in unreadable sectors and hence corrupt files which, again typically, cause things to simply stop working.

The chances of a file system fault resulting in a system that is functionally similar but with degraded performance is slim to none, and frankly that's the last place I would start looking in this case. This case absolutely reeks of driver conflicts rather than hardware problems, particularly because this same hardware was functioning fine with no hardware changes.
    bendy wrote:
    I would have loved to use System Restore,
    but
    for some reason I had no restore points.
    =/
    Well that sucks. =[

Back to the store with it. At least they will re-image the machine for you free of charge or replace/repair things that are broken. Hopefully.