What power supply for my computer?

edited March 2009 in Hardware
hopefully this post is in the right area, my apologies if not

i just purchased an acer aspire X3200 and seperately an nvidia geforce 9600 GSO

the video card says i need a min 400w with 12V current rating of 26A
and also a 6 pin supplementary power connector

Could anyone help me find a good power supply? im having a lot of trouble just googling around for one (price is no issue, but no need to go crazy)

Also is the above video card even compatible with my pc?

SPECS
Manufacturer: Acer
Model: Aspire X3200
Processor: AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core Processor 2.1 GHz
RAM: 3.75 GB
System Type: 64-bit Vista

Any help would be greatly appreciated, let me know if more info is needed

Comments

• KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited January 2009
    http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80396

Fantastic deal on a fantastic power supply which should be suitable for the system you've put together.
  • edited January 2009
    hmm I don't seem to have permission to view what you linked. could you link off this website please? also if anyone could let me know if the above mentioned video card will even fit/ is compatible
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341012

That's what Khaos's link eventually led to.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2009
    Look at either OCZ or Corsair

I have a Corsair HX520 which is excellent. Its modular too so you dont have to trail cables through your case. You will need to find out if the PC suports PCI-Express (PCI-E). If it does the card will run fine.
  • edited March 2009
    I just bought an Aspire X1200 which is the same as the X3200 but with budget Athlon X2 chips. The power supply is only 220W and doesn't have the extra power plug for a graphics card. You would have to get a different power supply for that 9600 GSO you have. It's been talked about on avsforum.com that it's a flex atx type psu but no confirmation of anybody actually finding or installing a suitable replacement. As of now, the best card you can put in there is probably a the Nvidia 9500 GT (low profile of course). I'm personally waiting to see if somebody produces a low-profile HD 4650. Also, the 9500 is supposed to switch to 55nm process soon and it's hard to find with DDR3 right now.

As far as upgrading the PSU to power a real graphics card though, if somebody knows how to find the right one, please let us know. I would much rather do that and actually be able to play some newer games. The low-profile aspect of the PCI-E slot will always hold it back, but there are some higher end cards out there that might work if not for the power supply.