Guitar Hero:WT vs. Rockband 2

WinfreyWinfrey waddafuhMissouri Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Gaming
I am actually surprised with how many people we have that play these games that a similar discussion hasn't materialized yet. Which one is better?

Vote and then tell why...

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Roommate picked up RB1 when it first came out purely for the social aspect of it after having played GH1-3 by himself.

We got RB2 because the instruments would work, so it was a simple upgrade. I've got no reason to buy GH:WT, so I stick with RB2.

Edit: There's no poll.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I see one, but I haven't voted yet.

Edit//

I voted for Guitar Hero:WT because I wanted to make sure the poll worked and NiGHTS made nervous. It's also the only one I've played of the two.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Let me express my ignorance here but... what's the difference other than song line up?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    The periphs aren't interchangeable for the drum kits (and others?), the look and feel of the game, etc.

I haven't played GH: WT, but I'd end up going with it because I absolutely loath the Rockband guitars, they just feel...flimsy at times.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    RB2 with GH peripherals. Once Guitar Hero turned into a pile of crap (boss battles? Really?), I checked out RB, and it really is just a lot more fun. Everything else is essentially the same.

As a side note, I believe all of RB2's instruments work with GH4 - the drum part even reworks itself so it only has 5 notes instead of the 6 that are default with its own drum.

Harmonix knows games; Activision knows peripherals. I still use my GH3 guitar with RB.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I'm with Snark on this one.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited January 2009
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2009
    While I enjoyed Guitar Hero 3 Rock Band 2 is in pretty much every way better then Guitar Hero WT.

Rock Band has a far better (not just broader) song selection and I find that typically they have done a better job of mapping the feeling of the song. Plus GH is still horrible for putting in notes for an instrument when that instrument isn't currently being played.

Rock Band has an overall better presentation, graphics, interface etc... I also and I can't say why but just find the songs more fun to play in Rock Band even comparing the same song in GH to RB the RB song feels more fun/better to play.

However the big deal killer for me is this.
    In RB once you unlock a song in tour mode regardless if it's solo, band or online or at what difficulty it's unlocked.

In GH on the other hand if you have to unlock it in every single mode it makes doing anything in the game painful. Plus each mode feels like it's own seperate game there is almost no cohession between them it's lame.

RB wins. GH's only saving grace, I thought would be the create a song feature but it's painful to use, limited to 3 minutes and no vocals. It's a toy that punishes you for wanting to play it.

As far as instruments go. I originally prefered the GH guitars, but after playing with teh Rock Band 2 guitar exclusively I now prefer it. I find the neck to be more comfortable and I like the buttons better, plus the guitar is overall bigger. I do however prefer the click on the strummer of the GH:WT guitar.

The RB2 drums feel much better, they seem to be more responsive and solid. Also throw on a cymbol pack and they realy kick butt.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2009
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    The song you play during the credits of Guitar Hero:WT is so epic though. The whole time I played the game I thought about how epic it would be if this song were on GH/RB. And then it was there! I won't name the song so as not to spoil the surprise for anyone, but it pretty much made my day.

Great analysis so far guys/gal/yahtzee :thumbsup:
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2009
    Another thing that bugs me in GH:WT. In Rock Band if a team mate is failing another can use their star power to save them. In GH if a band member is failing, you can't save them which usually means you start the song over, which also gives the feeling that you aren't really in a band at all.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    The song you play during the credits of Guitar Hero:WT is so epic though.

I say the same for the song from RB1's opening sequence ... Highway Star - Deep Purple.;)
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    RB2 because I said so.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band_2#Instrument_peripherals

The Rock Band 2 peripherals and Guitar Hero: World Tour peripherals are cross-compatible with other music games on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Sony originally announced that instrument peripherals would be universally compatible on the PlayStation 3[15]; and on November 24, 2008 a patch was released to allow the Guitar Hero: World Tour drums to be properly recognized by Rock Band 2.[16] Microsoft has also stated that instruments on the Xbox 360 will be compatible between the two games, as well as Rock Revolution.[17] The Wii edition of Rock Band 2 is compatible with the Wii drums and guitar for Rock Band and Guitar Hero World Tour as well as the guitar for Guitar Hero III. Rock Band 2 drum and guitar peripherals do not work with Wii Guitar Hero games, however, the microphone does..[18]

I have a Wii so for that reason only I vote for GHWT, because I can use all the intros with Rock Band games also.

-Bobby