Windows 7 open beta

KometeKomete Member
edited August 2009 in Science & Tech
Anyone getting it?
(Anyone have any thoughts on it already?)shhh...
Is Icrontic planning on doing a review of the beta?

I'm considering partitioning my storage drive and giving it a go.

Comments

• TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I plan on downloading it just to have the key and everything. I don't think I'll do a real install of it though, probably just put it on a virtual machine as I don't really care too much. Just kinda wanna take a look without hopefully risking anything.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2009
    So far I like it better then Vista, it's not as much of a culture shock from XP as vista was. Less flash and flare and more usability. Definitely a step in the right direction.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I plan on snatching and installing it this weekend.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    The new taskbar is going to take some getting used to, but I'm liking it so far. I just kind of said "screw it" and jumped in on my main machine. If I didn't, I'd never fully try it out. So far, everything is working fairly well. I even grabbed the 64-bit version.

I did have an issue with HL2 last night where it stuck on "loading." However, it was late, so I didn't mess with it for more than ten minutes.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I'm downloading it right now... got to beta test it with our Domain, right? :D
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Supposedly the task bar can be fixed to be similar to the old one...I forget where I was reading how to do this...
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Since my C: HD crashed last night with little clicking noises, I should take this omen/time to play with it. Is it open to anyone? Just go to MS?
    edited January 2009
    Supposedly the task bar can be fixed to be similar to the old one...I forget where I was reading how to do this...

It can. Same place as in XP/Vista. It just gives you a third grouping option.
    edited January 2009
    The Beta download is suppose to be open later today. I thought it was at 12:01 am but it was not... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/
    Want to try the Beta? Come back the afternoon of January 9. And remember—this is just a preview. There's more to come.

So I will wait....
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    It's open now but there servers are getting raped since they decided to announce that it is only open to the first 2.5 million people.

I've tried half a dozen times so far and it just keeps erroring out telling me to try again the next business day. Umm, no.
    The site is currently experiencing technical difficulties, please check back in the next business day.

It's starting to really chap my ass!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Once I burn the restore disks for my new laptop, I think I'll install the Windows 7 beta on it and give it a try.
    edited January 2009
    At this rate I'll just end up getting it off the Pirate Bay because this is just ridiculous.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    "Server too busy"

Argh.
    edited January 2009
    Now they say it won't open until 12pm PST, which is in 15 mins.

Maybe if we are lucky they will open their bandwidth once that hits.
    edited January 2009
    I'm refreshing several pages every few minutes to see if it pops up in other places..... Still nothing
    edited January 2009
    Same here, I even set up my spare HDD to give this a go :tongue:

Im REALLY bored...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Is the demand for the public beta version causing Microsoft to limit availability of the MSDN edition as well?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2009
    The big question is what happens in august when the beta runs out...
    edited January 2009
    The world turns to ruin and people begin to eat each other...
    :honoes:
    edited January 2009
    Quote from Windows Blog...
    Due to very heavy traffic we’re seeing as a result of interest in the Windows 7 Beta, we are adding some additional infrastructure support to the Microsoft.com properties before we post the public beta. We want to ensure customers have the best possible experience when downloading the beta, and I’ll be posting here again soon once the beta goes live. Stay tuned! We are excited that you are excited!
    edited January 2009
    "k guys, I think we're gunna release the beta at some point today, or something. Umm... Traffic r as usual, dun worry, 'sall k."
    edited January 2009
    Well I grabbed both the ISO's from the Engadget links. Now I just need a damn key. rarrrrr
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    jared wrote:
    It's open now but there servers are getting raped since they decided to announce that it is only open to the first 2.5 million people.

I've tried half a dozen times so far and it just keeps erroring out telling me to try again the next business day. Umm, no.

It's starting to really chap my ass!
    jared wrote:
    At this rate I'll just end up getting it off the Pirate Bay because this is just ridiculous.

This also summarizes my experiences.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    i am waiting intently!
    edited January 2009
    Anybody with an MSDN or Technet subscription should be able to grab it.

As an aside: When you disable UAC, it seems to turn gadgets off completely. You can't display them at all anymore. Not a huge deal, but I kind of liked have some of them.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2009
    Ok anyplace else to get this thing now?

Tex
    edited January 2009
    Everywhere but microsoft
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    Cyclonite, I'm sure there will be a work around soon found by someone.

Has anyone upgraded from vista to windows 7 beta? If so, does it feel like taking step backwards to xp or is it more like an improved vista?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    According to Kryyst, it's far better than Vista and a good step up from XP.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    According to Kryyst, it's far better than Vista and a good step up from XP.

Nuff said!