Beginner Questions

CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Gaming
Well I started the in-game tutorial and have been Googling for help and came across a seemingly useful site called Travian Help (http://travian-help.com/guides).

The tutorial had me creating buildings quite early on, but from reading various guides I should be ploughing all my initial efforts into my resource fields only. I have seen that I should have certain ratios of production levels already (Clay most, Wood, Iron, then Wheat least for Gauls). Is it worth spending my free gold on increasing resource production early on?

I have been attacked a few times, but I have been spending all my resources and have a decent cranny so people have been getting next to nothing from me (say, just 50 wheat and nothing else), and I have seen information about not getting farmed. Should I just keep ploughing my resources into levelling up the resource fields for now?

I have installed the Travian Beyond Greasemonkey script, which is brilliant, especially the info it gives me when I’m attacked! FYI a new version was released yesterday.

My biggest question at the moment is about raiding villages of players who have stopped playing, for free resources. The guides have said that initially I should only be raiding this type of village (and undefended ones when I get scouts and can see that info) but I’m not sure how to find out which villages these are. Which units do I do it with? The Phalanx is good for defending, but crap for attacking but if I’m going for these villages that offer no resistance, can I still use them? Or is it not all that easy lol?? Anyway, can you help?

I don’t have any ally’s or anything, and I read that if I am going to be attacked I can send resources to an ally so that they don’t get harvested from me. Is it possible to ally with any of you (I know it’s late...) if this is a good idea. I also read that I should send my troops out to an undefended village somewhere so that they don’t get killed (I was attached by 150+ so had no chance of my troops surviving).
Phew! Well, that’s my initial thoughts on strategy & tactics, replies to any of these questions are very welcome, especially about how and who to raid.

My co-ordinates are -201,92. I know not to give these out normally, but I'm probalby safe here on IC? I have already been contacted by jutty128.

~Cyrix

Comments

• TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Sorry to be so late in posting back, was busy and didn't have the time to properly respond.

First, this page gives an excellent overview of all elements of the game: http://help.travian.co.uk/

Each tribe obviously has it's advantages/disadvantages. My view of each is this:

Roman
    PROS - Very strong army if you get far enough along in the game. Pretty much the strongest tribe defensively and offensively. Like I say though, that is after you get yourself established. Can build/queue either two resource fields and one building at any one time of vice-versa.
    CONS - Slow to start and expensive to expand. Units on average take longer and are more expensive to build compared to Gaul and Teuts. Traditionally the default tribe for anyone starting out.

Gaul
    PROS - Great defensively and decent offensively. Market traders transport more resource and are faster at doing it. Unit builds are not quite as quick as Teut but are faster then Roman. Can build/queue either two resource fields and one building at any one time of vice-versa with gold
    CONS - Can't think of a whole lot really for cons. This tribe is my favorite as it has a good all around balance.

Teuton
    PROS - Really cheap troops which build the quickest of any other tribe. If you raid a lot, they will skim all resource available, plus 33% of anything covered by a cranny. Pretty quick moving troops, this tribe is meant for pure offense.
    CONS - This tribe takes more time and effort to expand through raiding. Only able to build one resource and one building at any one time which means you need to sign in regularly to keep something queued at all times. Substandard defense compared to the other two tribes.

Questions you asked:

Searching for in-actives: I had a decent site, but, the code seems to be borked when I select the UK Speed server. Basically though, select the UK speed server and enter in your village coordinates and field range to search and it will produce a list of players that haven't built any fields or buildings in three days. Here is the link but unfortunately doesn't work today, hopefully it isn't premanently borked. I used this a lot the previous two servers I played.

http://travian-com.ttool.info/index-com-tool2ww7be.html

Units for raiding: You can raid resource with all units except, scouts (Teut), Equites Legati (Roman), Path Finders (Gaul), and siege weapons. You can raid with defense such as a Phalanx but should only be done when you are assured that no troops are present in the village you are raiding. The manual in the game itself lists the offensive and defensive output of each unit to discern easily between what unit is meant for what. Note - Even settlers can be used for raiding and are good for holding lot's of resource but if you use them for this make sure you have a strong enough force with them or know for sure that the target village it troop-less.

Alliance: It's always good to have an alliance and a name behind you to make yourself a more less attractive target for raiding and attacking. Your rolling with us the next round. Do not worry about this.

The next server should start in 2 - 3 weeks, be in contact and we'll start at the same time and give you all the help and knowledge you need to get strong and sustain your properties. It will be a good idea to create a Skype account if you don't already have one to keep in contact with our team members.