M2N-E SLI will only post with 1 stick of ram

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited January 2009 in Hardware
Hi, I recents bought a new HDD, screen and a Corsair 2GB 800mhz kit (2x1GB sticks(CM2X1024-6400)).

At the moment I have 1x2GB stick (800mhz)
Now, that stick will work in either the slot closest to the CPU or in the third slot. It will NOT post in any of the other slots.
I fitted the new ram today. I removed the old generic memory, and put in the Corsair stuff, I put 1 stick in closest to the CPU, the other int he 3rd slot.
Turned on the PC and it wouldnt post, it just sat there with medium CPU fan for aout 20 seconds then reset, it would repeat this untill I turned it off.
I tried these 2 sticks of Corsair in every possible configuration, it still wouldn't post.
I then removed 1 stick and hurrah it posts and boots. That stick will work in both the slot closest to the CPU and the third slot, it will not work in the other 2 slots though.
How can I run both these modules!?
The ram is fine it just seems my motherboard is being very finiky :(

Also, is it possible to run 2x1GB sticks and a 2GB stick?

Comments

• revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited January 2009
    Ooo, just been fiddling around and discovered that 1 of the corsair sticks will not work in any of the slots, I guess its faultly because the other sticks will work in the first and 3rd slots.
    Now im running the generic 2gb stick in the slot closest to the CPU and 1 of the Corsair sticks in the 3rd slot, pc posted and works fine.