STALKER Alpha leaked

TemplarTemplar You first.
edited January 2004 in Gaming

Comments

• morfeumorfeu Lisbon, Portugal
    edited December 2003
    Humm.. lol

"This alpha version was leaked about 2 weeks ago and if you live in Russia, it seems you can buy a pirated version already!" :wtf:

Funny.

Im going to wait for full game, not worth the dl.
  • edited December 2003
    Quite small download aswell ;)
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    The problem is that this will be the same as the half life 2 alpha. People will download it, play it, then bitch about it because its not what they thought it would be.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    The problem is that this will be the same as the half life 2 alpha. People will download it, play it, then bitch about it because its not what they thought it would be.

Yeah, there always seems to be a surplus of idiots......
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Or it could be like the Doom 3 alpha leak where people will download it, think it's awesome and pre-order it.

The HL Leak wasn't even an alpha, just a source.
  • edited January 2004
    Hey, I'm new and would like to say hi.

I have a question. Can leaks like doom3, Half-life2, Stalker, etc damage you PC hardware/software in any way? I had a friend ask me to find out about if this is possible or not. I would appreciate any answer, thank you.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Leaks like the above won't damage your PC generally, unless the leaker has written some bad code into the leaked files.. to damage your PC (unlikely but not impossible) :)

What will damage your PC is when you are dissapointed by the lack of decent playable code with leaks.. slow framerates, bitty performance and generally a bad display of technology that isn't ready (hence why its alpha/beta and not gold code)... so you wont end up buying what at release time.. is more than likely a great game.. just you saw it when it was developing.

Welcome to Short-Media btw mate :thumbsup:
    edited January 2004
    Someone may have modified them to contain viruses, as you can't really go to the "official" site and download that version. The code is also normally Beta, Alpha or Pre-Alpha which is highly instable, can (and probably will) lock up your computer while using it, and may have other side effects.
    edited January 2004
    Enverex..

It's "unstable" not "instable".

Just because you love to correct my grammatical errors. :p
    edited January 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    Enverex..

It's "unstable" not "instable".

Just because you love to correct my grammatical errors. :p

Oops, that was actually a typo rather than bad grammar itself.
    fudgam wrote:
    :topic: Enverex, What is that a picture of in your sig? I have an idea of what it might me though. :topic:

My sig rotates through 8 images, what did the picture look like?
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited January 2004
    I deleted that post, I noticed that it does rotate. The one I was talking about looked like a cat that was about to be owned. Or maybe it was a panda.
    edited January 2004
    Nope, not a Panda. The tails too long
    edited January 2004
    fudgam wrote:
    I deleted that post, I noticed that it does rotate. The one I was talking about looked like a cat that was about to be owned. Or maybe it was a panda.

It's a cat.. acting as a silencer from the shotgun.. from Postal2 :D:rockon:
  • edited January 2004
    Thanks for the reply's guys.

I just called my buddy Tom, and he said he scanned for viruses beforehand. He just got worried because it locked up on him in the middle of trying one of the Stalker beta levels. He eventually go out of the lock though and his computer seemed fine. So he should be ok?

And a question of my own: Tom mentioned that the levels were run from ms-dos batch files. Isn't it a little odd to be running levels from files like this?
    edited January 2004
    Ok. Now everything is clear.
    edited January 2004
    Ender wrote:
    Thanks for the reply's guys.

I just called my buddy Tom, and he said he scanned for viruses beforehand. He just got worried because it locked up on him in the middle of trying one of the Stalker beta levels. He eventually go out of the lock though and his computer seemed fine. So he should be ok?

And a question of my own: Tom mentioned that the levels were run from ms-dos batch files. Isn't it a little odd to be running levels from files like this?

From what Ive heard, it does run from .bat files. Either way, it's warez, leave it well alone... developers have a hard enough time without leaks.
    edited January 2004
    The level you were trying was the run_game1_zakat.bat map, which has a tendency to lock up, which you can get around by hitting C+A+D, bringing up task manager and forcing the X-Ray engine to close.

I doubt the STALKER boys are too bothered as the Pre-Alpha is from May 19th 2002 and it looks like the game had just be thrown together rather fast (except for the textures and maps).
  • edited January 2004
    Enverex wrote:
    The level you were trying was the run_game1_zakat.bat map, which has a tendency to lock up, which you can get around by hitting C+A+D, bringing up task manager and forcing the X-Ray engine to close.

I doubt the STALKER boys are too bothered as the Pre-Alpha is from May 19th 2002 and it looks like the game had just be thrown together rather fast (except for the textures and maps).

Thanks, but it's not for me, just my buddy. I try to stay away from warez.

So, I guess I can tell him that the staker alpha is completely safe?
  • edited January 2004
    Yeh, they usually are unless the website/ftp/irc server attached a virus too it, but if he's scanned his harddrive and there are no virus's he should be ok.
  • edited January 2004
    As a question of my own- Can't alpha code itself be dangerous while running on hardware? Because it's so unrefined cant it use bad commands/prompts/etc that can harm hardware such as the 3d card?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    no.
  • edited January 2004
    can you guys help me?

i run the XR_3DA.exe and it runs and then it locks up and my pc monitor says "check pc display settings.

ive tried messing with user text and tried changing resolution but this did nothing.

i just ran the xr_3da.exe from stalker_part1.rar and it opens all of the other rars and then it does this please help me :'(

i have a :
    p4 1.3 ghz
    winxp pro
    128 mb ram
    geforce 4 ti 4400 - (nvidia 53.03 drivers.)
    15 inch monitor
    edited January 2004
    Sorry chap.. but we can't help you. There is a NO warez policy here.. and that's a leaked, warezed alpha. (I did say earlier in the thread).

If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. There are no offical and very few unofficial channels for support with this, we aren't one of them either.

May seem offish and I apologise for that, but just wait for the full, real, finished game. It's gonna be worth it ;)
  • edited January 2004
    yeah...thx i just wanted to try this cuz i love this game and im gonna buy it but this pissess me off.
    edited January 2004
    It does happen, thats the luck of the draw. This is an old old alpha from what Ive heard. Dates back months and months... what I saw running @ ECTS.. was outstanding. It's gonna be worth the wait ;)

Check your private messages btw.. sent the usual "welcome in" PM :D
  • edited January 2004
    Yeh meant to be dated back 2002 sometime
    edited January 2004
    May 19th 2002, as I said earlier.

Not going to say anymore on how to use the Alpha other than "YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO RUN THAT FILE" as that is just an engine, not the game.